m77 hawkeye vs cz carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sniper81

Bearcat
i want a bolt action 7.62x39 rifle and have to choose between these two was wondering if anyone could give me pros or cons on each i like the fact the cz shoots wolf ammo accuratly and has a clip but i dont like the fact it is a dovetail for scope mounting any info would be great

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I don't see the CZ scope mounting as being all that different from Ruger, each uses their own system and they work fine. CZ charges alot for their rings but Burris and others make their own version, I think CZ includes a set with the rifle.

I think the Ruger looks better, but with a CZ you can count on accuracy and the trigger is better. I had to make a similar choice in 223 and I went with the CZ 527.

sniper81

Bearcat
can i get the cz in synthetic or just the wood im going to be using it for coyotes or does the wood have some kind of waterproofing on it or not

Del J

Single-Sixer
I have owned a CZ 527 wood stocked carbine in .223 for about a year now. Accuracy with Wolf ammo was good. Overall accuracy is great. I mounted a larger scope on the rilfe and used Warne rings. The adjustable trigger adds much to the accuracy. I feel the clip is the weakless part of these rifle besides being ugly. I have shot Ruger M77 compact in .223, it looks better and shot well for the little I used it. No experince with the Hawkeye yet. Wood or synthetic in extreme condtions or just nornal wear it's your choice. As time goes by, Synthetic looks like the way to go to me.

sniper81

Bearcat
what is wrong with the clip and when u ordered urs did u get an option for a synthetic stock

RonS

Single-Sixer
I have the CZ527 FS in .223. Upsides are the set trigger, beautiful wood, mauser style action, hammer forged barrel. Mine is exceptionally accurate for a Manlicher stock, with a 4x scope over sand bags it is fires consistant sub 1" groups. I put a Leupold 4X scope in Warne hand detachable rings on it and it is a pretty nice setup. Take care to select the correct high rings the CZ bolt handle takes a little clearance.

Downsides are the trigger when not using the set feature and the price of magazines ($40.00 each for 5 round magazines). One of my magazines is draggy when inserted when full, fine when empty.