M77 Hawkeye Ultra Light

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cws0008

Bearcat
I'm considering picking up a M77 Ultra Light for my 12 year old son for blacktail deer (CA) and pig hunting. Any insight or feedback into this model in a 270win? It's either this or a Remington Seven. Thanks,

cws0008

Bearcat
Thanks. I probably should have been more specific. I'm concerned with the accuracy of the shorter barrel and the recoil of the lighter weight of the rifle for my 12 year old. I like concept of the smaller, carbine style for him but it needs some take down power too for bigger pigs that we frequently get on as well.

scoutman

Bearcat
Be conscious of the length of pull. My Ruger Compact is 12.75" Do not exceed that. If the Ultralite is greater, reduce to 12.5"

MADISON

Single-Sixer
Will the new Ultra-Lites have the same pencil thin barrels that my early .223 Remmington MK-11 has?
If I dont want to shoot a 3 1/2 inch group with "factory" type reloads I have to down sizee it to .22 Hornet [2600 fps] velocity.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
It is the thinnest barrel profile that Ruger uses. It balances and handles differently. A 270 could be lively in such a light/muzzle light rifle.

cws0008

Bearcat
That's great info. Thanks much. I didn't realize the diameter of the barrel. I like my other Ruger's a lot so I'll probably look at something different for this application.

There is no free ride. If ya want a lighter gun, it's gonna kick more. If the lighter gun is light, because the barrel is thinner, then that barrel will very likely heat up faster than a heavier barrel.

I've owned a number of Ruger Compacts, and Ultra Lights. I did not buy any of them with the intention of making them red hot by shooting long strings at the range. I bought them to carry hunting, and they do a great job of that. My most recent Ultra Light, in .30-06, shoots less than 1-1/2" groups at the range, shooting 3 or 5 shot groups. I will never try seeing how many shots I have to shoot to heat it up, and seriously affect accuracy.

And, +1+ for the Compact, in 7mm/08. Everything else being equal, that 7-08 is a very easy shooting cartridge, in any rifle. And the Compact, is not marketed as shorter, just to satisfy smaller people. It's short, to make it handle very well, in hunting situations. It does a great job.

WAYNO.

cws0008

Bearcat
Thanks. That's precisely the information I was looking for. I'm looking for it to be a reliable 'ranch' gun that carry's and shoots well. I don't anticipate anyone putting dozens of rounds through it at the range at any one time. Nor would I expect too many shots with this weapon much beyond 150-200yds. I appreciate the feedback on the 7mm-08.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
Another vote for the 7mm-08.

I got my boys a M77 Frontier (same short barrel & LOP as a compact, with just a little more weight) in 7mm-08 and we've been thrilled with it. This is my first experience with the 7mm-08 and even using Remington's managed recoil loads it has been great on white tails. My middle son took his first deer with that combination this year...mild enough recoil for a 5-year old but deadly on game:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=661700