M77 HAWKEYE AFRICAN IN .223

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rugershoe

Bearcat
Has anyone ever heard of an African in .223? I acquired one, and the seller stated it was 1 of 37, new in box. The story was an avid Ruger collector wanted an African built in .223 for the purpose of higher volume practice without the cost of big game ammo. The gun is beautiful, and the big barrel used on the Africans is massive for the .223 round.

Rugershoe

Bearcat
I checked the catalog for what was to have been the year of manufacture. Do you have a link I could look at?

bisley32

Single-Sixer
There are two versions of these. One with a matt finish and one with a gloss finish. I was told the gloss finish is the rarest version. B32

egl52

Single-Sixer
I've seen enough for sale over the years that I have hard time believing only 37 were made, but certainly they're rare enough to be special. I think they're a really cool rifle, and I'd love to have one. Did you get the matte or the gloss version?

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
I bought one brand new from Bud's website at the end of 2010. It was the matte finish and was a very nice piece. I don't remember the twist rate and didn't shoot it much, but I recall that it shot very tight groups with 55 gr Federal ball ammo and not quite as well with Federal 60 gr. Partition loads. The original plan was to use it for bobcat and other predators with the ability to drop a Partition round in if I called in a mountain lion. The whole plan never worked out as I started working a billion hours a week and never put in the time required to get good at predator hunting. I sold it last year on consignment at my LGS due to lack of use - and got back what I paid in under two weeks. Her book said it was only made one year. I have heard of the polished blue versions but never saw one. The story I read was that it was commissioned by SCI or a similar organization as a trainer for people wanting to hunt Africa.

JFB

Hunter
I guess I was extremely LUCKY when a polished blue was posted for sale here and the seller was close and graceous enough to bring it to me! I shot it as soon as I handed him the cash. after that it has been in the case and occasionlly shouldered in the bedroom.
223%20african%20001s_zps8iqsutty.jpg

223%20african%20002s_zpspp1kenxk.jpg

Rugershoe

Bearcat
Mine is the polished version. I toyed with keeping it NIB but ultimately decided I wanted to experience it and treat it well to preserve. I don't really sell anything, so investor value is of limited relevance. I have only a few break in rounds through it at this point. I need to decide whether I should put a nice scope on it or leave it "as is" -- the iron sights do look great.