M77 Floor plate, button REALLY hard to release!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Incahiker

Bearcat
This is my first m77 centerfire rifle and I found that the button to release the floor plate that is in the trigger gaurd is almost impossible to push from without the need of some sort of tool to release the floor plate. I can do it with my fingers but it bruises them.

Is everyone elses experience the same with this? If not, what could it be. Also, when you close the floor plate back, only the tip of the floor plate pin is caught on the top of that button. I have to manually hold the floor plate shut with my hand while pushing the latch button forward with my other hand to completely seat the latch button in the trigger gaurd so that it holds the floor plate nice and tight. If I don't then I know that the recoil of the gun would probably open the floor plate.

Incahiker

Bearcat
Its the Mark II. On yours, do you just simply press the button with little force to let the floor plate open. Me, my face gets red, veins pop out of my head and then my finger is sore and bruised the next day from it. Its a pain in the but to get that floor plate open.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
The tension on that release is predicated by the location of the trigger guard. It may be a bit too far forward. Take it off and put it back on to see if there is a difference. I seat mine to the rear as much as possible and just tighten the forward snug.

While you ve got the trigger guard out make sure the button freely moves and there no burr or something that makes it stiff.

If that doesn't help you can relieve a bit of wood from the rear of the trigger guard recess and gain a bit or clearance. Go carefully here as it only takes a tiny bit of movement to loosen up the button engagement.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I fixed my M77 MKII (with Boyds laminate stock) by adding a small "shim" (cut from the plastic lid of a coffee can) under the front screw of the trigger guard. I also thought about taking wood from the back inset, but realized it would only lower the entire mechanism. The shim works for me, and also lets me torque the front trigger guard screw properly.

surv

kennel boy

Bearcat
I HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH MY M77'S...HAVE THE ACTION BEDDED AND THE TRIGGER GUARD BEDDED TO THE CORRECT HEIGHT FOR THE FLOORPLATE AND ALL WILL BE WELL!

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Mcknight77 nailed this one. Loosen the trigger guard screws and push the guard back. Re-torque screws.

Good shooting-Steve

257Bob

Bearcat
My Hawkeye Roberts WONT open since it came back from the gunsmith for a bed and float. But it shoots so good I wont touch it. I just push the bolt back and forth to eject the cartridges which is actually quicker than dropping the floorplate and closing it again. I got used to doing that with my Winchester Mod 54 so it's not a prob with the .257 Bob. By undoing the action screws a bit and fiddling I could fix it but I just can't be bothered. At least I don't have to worry about it dropping open on a hunt.

kennel boy

Bearcat
if the floorplate does not open properly the smith that bedded your action did not do a proper job. And by that I mean the action and ALL of its parts need to be addressed. I had to send mine back a second time. If the action and barrel are now higher in the stock or lower in the stock, the bottom metal is not meeting up to the magazine liner properly. A shim at the trigger guard can fix this. But the proper way to fix the issue is bedding the trigger guard as well.

kennel boy

Bearcat
if the floorplate does not open properly the smith that bedded your action did not do a proper job. And by that I mean the action and ALL of its parts need to be addressed. I had to send mine back a second time. If the action and barrel are now higher in the stock or lower in the stock, the bottom metal is not meeting up to the magazine liner properly. A shim at the trigger guard can fix this. But the proper way to fix the issue is bedding the trigger guard as well.

Latest posts