M77 Flat Bolt - very low serial number

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gaba53

Bearcat
Hi all. I acquired this rifle for a very reasonable price about a year ago. I didn't really purchase it as an investment, but my dad has always had a ruger flat bolt in a 220 swift 26 inch heavy barrel that I have always liked.

Anyway, it is a 243 win. plain barrel (no sights) and the serial number is 22xx. I was just interested in asking the experts if this has any collectors value at all.

Also my dad's swift could probably be bought if anyone is interested. It doesn't get shot unless I "borrow" it.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Welcome to Ruger Forum!

I'm not the one to comment on your Rifle's value, but, the guys that know about them are sure going to want to see images.

There are image posting instructions in Ruger Forum's Gallery section.

flatgate

gaba53

Bearcat
Thanks that's good info. Either way well worth the $250 I have in it. I would say metal is 98%, but some dings in the stock as it has seen some normal field use. I already bedded the action to make it a decent backup hunting rifle that would be good for my kids to use when they get old enough. Also it seems one of this rifle's previous ownders engraved their SSN on the receiver. I'm guessing both of those things hurt the "collectors" value, but still make the rifle great for why I wanted it, a good, reliable, unique rifle.

At the same time the two rifles I mentioned above were around, there was an M77 (tand safety) not a flat bolt on the rack as well. It was used but not abused, just a good serviceable rifle that will be used by my wife and daughter, alright and me too. I paid $349 for it. To me, a good M77 is worth $350 if not abused.

Sounds like you got a nice rifle. I would guess it would be a shooter as well.

rugnelli

gaba53

Bearcat
You're right it is a shooter. I loaded up a few handloads with some spare brass that was laying around. I loaded up some 70gn Speer TNTs for coyotes and they are staying in about 3/4" at 100 yds. And for this deer season I have some 100gn grand slams that are shooting into 3/4" too.

And I only tried one powder and those two types of bullets. I wouldn't be surprised if I tried a bit harder if I got it to shoot into 1/2" groups. But for what I intend to use it for 3/4" is good enough.

I actually picked it up and looked it over last night and it is in better condition than I remember, the bluing isn't even beginning to wear off the edge of the muzzle. And while the stock has been worn some, there are no nicks or chips.

Also, off topic, but while I've been on this kick of researching a couple of my guns I looked up the serial number on my Browning A-5 and it was manufactured in 1928. I don't think it is worth a ton of money, but it will never be for sale anyway. It's just interesting to have something over 80 years old that still functions.