M77 firing pin not striking with enough force

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJC

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 MK II Target in 223. The gun was manufactured in 2000. The seller, who I trust, stated that he had put less than 100 rounds through it. That means there were likely several years between uses. I have put about 75-100 rounds through the gun since purchasing it last September with no issues.

At the range last week, after running about 10 rounds through the gun, it stopped firing. Upon inspecting it, I discovered that the firing pin was hanging up. Upon cycling the bolt and pulling the trigger, the firing pin either would not move at all (unless I pushed on the end of it with my thumb) or it would fire with what appears to be less than maximum force. I pulled the bolt, tried to flush it with some silicone spray and lubricate it with some Remoil (that was all I had in my range box). I could then get the firing pin to fire fairly consistently, but not with enough force to set off a round.

Here are my questions:

I will try flushing the bolt first to see if there is any gunk/grime that is impeding the action of the firing pin. What type of cleaner do you recommend?

If that does not work, I will disassemble the bolt and look for debris impeding the firing pin. While I am at it, I was thinking of replacing the striker spring. I have been considering the Wolff extra power striker springs. They have 24lb and 28lb springs, compared to the 21lb stock spring. Does anyone have experience with these springs, recommend them and have a preference between the 24lb and 28lb spring?

I was also wondering about replacing the firing pin while I was at it. However, I can't find any aftermarket firing pins and I assume that, with less than 200 rounds through the gun, there is nothing wrong with the current firing pin. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket firing pins that they consider to be superior to the stock Ruger pin?

Finally, once I have cleaned out the obstruction (and possibly replaced the striker spring), can you recommend a good lubricant for the bolt action and the firing pin/spring? I assume I want a fairly light lubricant that won't build up or congeal in any way.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

GP100man

Buckeye
Clean it with a stripper like brakleen or gunscrubber ,be sure to remove all the old hard caked gunk that used to be grease, look for burrs or machining shavings & remove em, then lube litely with TETRA GUN GREASE ,it`s synthetic & does`nt change trigger pulls in as cold a weather as we get here on the coast of the tarheel state.

GP

DGW1949

Hunter
A good cleaning sounds good. You should be able to detect any mechanical issues while you have things apart.
I'd also look for any sign that someone has been in there "fooling around".
I'm not big on aftermarket "parts improvements". I figure that Ruger perty-much knows how to make a firing pin, and that they know what makes for a proper spring....
.....just sayin'.

DGW

RJC

Bearcat
I pulled the firing pin and found a small piece of punctured primer that may have been impeding the complete forward movement of the firing pin. It will be at least 10 days until I can get to the range to shoot the gun, but it appears to be dry firing fine onto spent brass.

If anyone is interested, here are two Youtube videos done by Ruger on disassembly and reassembly of the M77 and Hawkeye rifles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XpdF0LL8-QQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGAYS91BDk&feature=player_embedded