M77 bolt not closing with round in.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scout3801

Bearcat
Sorry, I shoot the rifle, I clean the rifle, I don't know much about how the rifle works, or in this case doesn't.

I have an M77 .30-06, got it around 1984. When I was hunting, I practiced enough with it to get good round placement, but that was quite a while ago. It was always reliable, a really good rifle.

Over the last few years, all I've done is clean it about every 4 to 6 weeks ( I live in a very humid area, causes a lot of corrosion ). I'm trying to get back into hunting, so I got some snap caps to get used to the trigger pull.

Unfortunately, in cleaning the rifle, I'm managed to shift something out of place, and bolt will no longer close with either a snap cap or a round. It closes fine when empty.

I took the rifle apart per the manual, including taking the firing pin assembly out. Everything looks fine, but...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Charles

DGW1949

Hunter
Your 77 uses a Mauser-type extractor....which don't like having to snap over the cartridge rim.
Try putting the snap cap (or a dummy round) into the magazine and allowing the bolt to strip it out as it closes.

DGW

scout3801

Bearcat
DGW1949":zy5j44wm said:
Your 77 uses a Mauser-type extractor....which don't like having to snap over the cartridge rim.
Try putting the snap cap (or a dummy round) into the magazine and allowing the bolt to strip it out as it closes.

I tried that with both (snap cap and dummy round), but no dice. When I pull the bolt back though, both are left in the barrel, the bolt isn't pulling the out.

-Charles

DGW1949

Hunter
scout3801":1f4cqlmx said:
DGW1949":1f4cqlmx said:

I tried that with both (snap cap and dummy round), but no dice. When I pull the bolt back though, both are left in the barrel, the bolt isn't pulling the out.

-Charles

That's because:
They are being pushed in by the extractor....which they shouldn't be. By the time it's into the chamber, the cartrige rim should be inside the extrator claw....and being pushed by the bolt face.
Or.....
Something is wrong with your bolt assembly job and the claw aint lined-up with it's barrel notch.
Or....
The extractor is "sprung".
Or....
If your gun uses a spring and plunger ejector, it aint compressing enough during the feed cycle.....might be bent or stuck.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

DGW

scout3801

Bearcat
DGW1949":1zvx581o said:
That's because:
They are being pushed in by the extractor....which they shouldn't be. By the time it's into the chamber, the cartrige rim should be inside the extrator claw....and being pushed by the bolt face.
Or.....
Something is wrong with your bolt assembly job and the claw aint lined-up with it's barrel notch.
Or....
The extractor is "sprung".
Or....
If your gun uses a spring and plunger ejector, it aint compressing enough during the feed cycle.....might be bent or stuck.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope it helps.

DGW

Well, I managed to push really hard and get the bolt closed. A painful experience, after breaking so many things over this life time, but it seems to have worked out.

I worked the bolt with some spent brass, the "ejector pin," the 1/8" (about) pin on the face of the bolt that kicks the brass out gouged up the brass pretty badly. I'm guessing it's the problem. Not really sure how to fix that.

Thanks,

-Charles

contender

Ruger Guru
It sounds like a disassembly of the bolt is in order to inspect the inside of the bolt body for rust & crud. If you don't know how,,, or don't have the tools,,, go to a gunsmith with your bolt & ask him to disassemble it.

Latest posts