M77 300 win mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ithaca4me

Bearcat
I picked one up today on impulse. (299.00) I do not know a thing about them except mauser action. Mine has the tang safety fitted with a weaver 4x scope. Very good condition. I have found out it was made in 1987 I think. My question is there is alot of negative out there on accuracy. If you have one what are your experiences and is there anything I should look at?

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
I would clean it well and check all mounting screws and action screws -then go shoot it.

I have the best luck with Federal ammo but mine shoot most all brands well. I would try a few out.

I would re -center scope and start from scratch on sight -in. If you doubt the integrity of the scope then mount one you trust. You actually have a couple variables working here when testing the accuracy of the rifle because you have a scope of unknown consistently as well. I would eliminate all variables and weigh the odds in your favor of really being able to isolate the potential of the rifle.

Some M77's had questioned barrel quality because Ruger used different ones in the past some others brands and of course than tooling their own. I would not get hung up on which you have if it shoots then all is good.

Good shooting -Steve

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
I shoot my own reloads. Tailor the round to what you will hunt, not the biggest bang you can get. I think alot of people are thrown off by the bang and kick- which I never thought was that bad- like a stiff 30-06. Wear a thick coat, good hearing protection, and limit how many shots at one time.
I put a competition firing pin and spring in mine (forget whos), and a timney trigger. Make sure the barrel is clear of any wood, and the stock screws are well and consistently seated. I had heard of folks who had gotten bad barrels, but you hear that of every brand. Before you shoot it, clean the bore real well with a good solvent, to be sure to get any old jacket residue out, that you cant allways see.

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
OOps, missed this on my post:
I do replace all my factory rings with Leopold scope mounts and rings. They are much more square and mate with the scopes much cleaner. Little things add up to alot.

McM

Bearcat
Daveboone "I do replace all my factory rings with Leopold scope mounts and rings"

a couple of questions, first are Ruger rings really that bad? also "mounts"?

What is your choice off solvents, I have used Hoppes #9 with good success.

thanks Daveboone, I'm not trying to hijack the thread just was interested in the info......

Daveboone

Single-Sixer
Two sets of ruger mounts I had did not mate square with the scopes I put on (Leupold), and a machinists strait edge confirmed the mounts were off. I think Hoppes is fine for routine cleaning, but after having Shooters Choice recommended to me, I gave it a try. After cleaning a rifle with Hoppes and thoroughly drying the bore, I again used Shooters Choice and was still finding resideue on the patches. I only bronze brush my bores with solvent a couple times a year, I dont shoot all that many rounds, but some folks get a significant copper/brass build up that can be tough to detect, that will definetly affect accuracy (with my 45-70, I notice it after about 14-20 rounds).

ithaca4me

Bearcat
well I went out and shot the gun Thursday and the gun shot great. So all worry for nothing. Thanks for the isight everyone.

McM

Bearcat
$299 was a great deal. I haven't seen anything under $400
around here.

Latest posts