M77/22 scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hairtrigger

Single-Sixer
I need advice for a quality scope on my rifle.

It was suggested to me that a bushnell a17 scope is a good value
I purchased a scope and mounted it on my medium height rings and found I could not open the bold enough to cycle the bolt. I then bought a set of high scope rings which now I have well over a quarter of an inch clearance between the barrel and the scope but the bolt handle rubs the eyepiece

A friend stop by at the right or wrong time and I gave him the scope for a $15 loss
At this time I am open to your suggestions

I've had a budget grade scope on my 77/22 for maybe 20 years. The bolt handle scrapes the eyepiece when worked vigorously but doesn't really cause problems. Your set up may depend on whether you hold the bolt knob with thumb & fingers or "palm" the knob.
Unfortunately, many of the newer scopes have obnoxiously large eyepieces. If you do some shopping, you can find a model that doesn't or maybe find an older scope with a smaller diameter eyepiece.

Big_Fisherman

Bearcat
I have a Nikon Rimfire 3-9X40 on my 77/22. The objective end fits over the folded rear iron sight, and the bolt handle does not hit the objective housing of the scope. I don't care for the reticle, but it is a nice clear scope. It rivals my much more expensive Leupolds at a much lower price.

He is a link to the Nikon website:

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/riflescopes/prostaff-rimfire-ii-3-9x40-bdc-150.html

If you looking for a higher end scope, then I wold recommend a Leupold 4-12X40 AO. I have one on my 77/22 VBZ, and the bolt easily clears the scope.

The 77/22, 77/357, 77/44 ...I've owned them all, and mounting a scope has always been a challenge.

A small objective scope, mounted low, would seem correct, but then the bolt handle doesn't clear the scope.

So, you mount the same scope, ridiculously high, and the bolt handle clears.

If you're having to mount the scope high, then you may as well use a scope with a larger abjective, 40mm or more.

This discussion surfaces occasionally, and mounting a scope on these little rifles is always a compromise.

Here's some previous discussions...
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=277822&hilit=77%2F357+scope

larryofcc

Bearcat
I have a very nice Leupold VX-1 2X7 28mm mounted on my 77/22 and it works great. No problems. Big Larry

larryofcc said:
I have a very nice Leupold VX-1 2X7 28mm mounted on my 77/22 and it works great. No problems. Big Larry

We can make any scope work with high enough rings. Eye relief continues to be a concern also.

Can you show us how you've got your rings set up, and which ones?

I like my scopes as low as possible since I have a somewhat thin face and cheekbones. I'm willing to sacrifice some features or change brands of scope to ensure the proper mounting and eyeline height. I've also had bolt clearance problems with some scopes on the RAR.
I just finished a 10-22 project and the scope I chose is a new old stock Weaver 1-3x20. There are scopes out there which will allow a low mounting height w/o interference with the bolt handle.

gunzo

Hunter
I have AW F/S, older boat paddle. I have a 2-7x28 Weaver RF on it in what appears to be the lowest ring Ruger makes. A much bigger objective wouldn't even clear at the front, even if I removed the rear sight.
The eyepiece is close but the bolt doesn't touch. I agree that some scope eyepieces are becoming way too large & interfere with proper mounting. Thinking that about any Vortex would be non compatible in this application, along with some models of Burris or other brands.
The discontinued Leupold V 1's & 2's are of sensible size in the eyepiece. Not sure about the Freedom.

Owning a set of calipers, even cheap ones, could be handy here to measure what doesn't fit, & then looking up manufacturers dimensions.

larryofcc

Bearcat
WAYNO said:
larryofcc said:

We can make any scope work with high enough rings. Eye relief continues to be a concern also.

Can you show us how you've got your rings set up, and which ones?
No pics, but I used the rings that came in the box. This setup works fine. Big Larry

artey

Single-Sixer
Hairtrigger, find yourself a used Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire scope, or a 3-9x33 EFR and don't look back. The rear bell is small enough you can use low rings if you want, assuming on the 33mm model that the objective clears your barrel.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
you might also look at a fixed power scope such as a Weaver, Bushnell or Leupold 4x32 with the correct heights rings. unfortunately, proprietary Ruger rings allow only a slight adjustment of horizontal adjustment but there are adapters available for adjustable bases.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
A very long time ago, after the guys in Connecticut tweaked my 77 22, I put a Leupold 4x with fine tapered crosshairs on it. From predawn light to dark thirty, targets, silhouettes, squirrels, groundhogs and a turkey have been targets. I find I can shoot shoot ten shot one hole groups at 50 yards and kill squirrels out to 75 with that combo, when I do my part. For me the fine crosshairs and good glass provide precision aiming.
That met my expectations.
Take some time to figure out what you want the rifle to do for you, that will tell you what scope you need. Just remember that good glass is more important than lots of magnification.
Bfly

JFB

Hunter
I Believe I am useing #4 (medium) rings, from the reciever flat to the the bottom of the scope is 0.46"
I like the Lepould VX# 1-5X20 scopes which have a eyepiece bell diameter of 1.56"
the bolt clears the bell by 0.10 to 0.05" (bolt wiggle at full withdrawn)

this has the center of scope to barrel bore center at 1.57" which gives a pretty good sighting in trajectory. ie generic ballistic tables have scope 1.5" high to bore

71tSA73.jpg