M77/22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bwr

Bearcat
Hello to all you Ruger guys out there.I'm new to this forum,and have couple of questions regarding a M77/22 Hornet w/the laminated stock and target gray finish I just bought(used).I need a pair of period correct scope rings,in new condition,-rifle made in 1998-in the medium height #4 w/the grey target finish.The rings should have the blued slotted head screws on the rings and blued bolt and nut to attach to the receiver.Would anyone have a pair for sale? Also,is it possible to reduce the trigger pull slightly without alot of work,or trigger replacement? All replies would be greatly appreciated.Thank you!

9x19

Hunter
You can replace the sear with one from Volquartsen, about a 5 minute job... remove the barreled action from the stock and push out/replace one pivot pin. (Yes, the centerfire 77/xx versions use the same trigger parts as the rimfires.)

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/sear-parts/sears/ruger-77-22-target-sear-prod13867.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=volquartsen

wunbe

Buckeye
Mine NIB was a scatter gun until I had the sloppy chamber redone as a 22 K Hornet. Then it became boringly accurate and ate up all the rounds I made faster than I could churn them out. With 13 grains of Li'l Gun it was also smoking MOA way out to 200-225 yards.A releation.

One problem was the brass as necks were very fragile and I lost a few at each reloading.

Good luck with yours but if it does not work out, there is an excellent fix.

wunbe

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
My 77/22 was a scatter gun also. I tried every load possible but could not get it to group. I ended up sending it to Randy at CPC for the whole works: trigger job, bolt job, rechamber to 22K Hornet and had the barrel shortened a couple inches with a target crown. It now is a real shooter.

I reluctantly purchased a used 77/17 Hornet and it is a real shooter. The only thing I did was install a Volquartsen sear. It shoots factory Hornady ammo easily under MOA. It is hard to believe the damage it does to groundhogs. The last one I shot at 150 yards blew the whole side off the groundhog.

Good luck with your Hornet!

wunbe

Buckeye
The necks on the hornet brass by some makers are very thin and inherently fragile. Annealing might work but the loss at each reloading is maybe 5% or so -- the extra step is probably not worth the effort since I do only reload them 3 or 4 times at most unless they are from European makers who tend to make more robust cases. (The are hard to find.)

wunbe

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well, I just hate waste. I think you should consider anneling and saving the cases from an early demise. Also, have you considered neck sizing only? Just thoughts! Even of you just anneal ten cases and see how they do. Good luck.
David

Latest posts