M77/22 design change confirmed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
Talked to Ruger customer service today and confirmed that yes all M77/22's have gone to a threaded barrel to receiver fit. they no longer will use the V-Block method. I then asked if the 10/22's were going to that design to and the lady said at this time she had not heard anything on that but would look into it for me and get back to me. I asked how we as consumers would be able to tell if the rifle was old style with v-block or new style with threaded barrel and she was going to get the serial # of the transition for me to post. I then told her that I can not believe that something this drastic in design change was not posted on their web site as News!. she agreed and said she would look into it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Very interesting! Makes for a much better barrel/receiver fit but makes it near impossible for the average shooter to do a barrel change.

chet15

Hawkeye
Makes me wonder if such a drastic change will make Ruger give it a different serial number sequence.
Chet15

Snake45

Hawkeye
Wonder if I could send my mediocre-shooting 77/22V back and have them screw a new barrel onto it. Under warranty, of course. :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
On an unrelated note, for some reason I've always had a hankering for a Clark Custom 77/22. Years ago Layne Simpson (I think, it was S/T) did an article on the .22Hornet featuring a Clark gun that was a standard blued/walnut model with a fluted stainless barrel. Wanted one ever since, maybe a K-Hornet or .22Mag instead. Even though I know I can get an accurate Hornet elsewhere for less money. Just one of those itches I may some day have to scratch.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
hmmmmmm...they'll be among the few .22 rimfires with screw in barrel to receiver fits now.

i converted my 77/22 mag to a 77/17 HMR with a voltquartsen, drop-in conversion, barrel...that makes it a pretty expensive .17 HMR, though.

I'm VERY happy with the conversion...

I wonder if this change will carry over to the Hornets. I want one, but have held off due to reading that about accuracy issues.

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
Well i never heard back from Ruger about the serial # range for when they went to the threaded barrel design. so i called them again today to try and find some info, all they could finaly come up with for me was that the change started in the 4th quarter of '09
does anyone have any inside contact that could maybe refine that some and get us a serial # start of the new design? otherwise no one will know if they are buying old stock or new desing M77/22's

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Honestly...I think this is how the 77/22s should have been made in the first place.

One of the big things that kept them behind every other bolt action .22 (CZ, Kimber, Anschutz, Remington, Browning) That V-Block really was an accuracy detractor.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I_Like_Pie":2sbwjmd3 said:
Honestly...I think this is how the 77/22s should have been made in the first place.

One of the big things that kept them behind every other bolt action .22 (CZ, Kimber, Anschutz, Remington, Browning) That V-Block really was an accuracy detractor.
I've never thought the V-block was an accuracy factor in my 77/22V. It seems solid and tight enough. I've always thought a too-generous chamber was my problem (though it's not as bad as a Rem 541 I once owned).

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
Snake45":2x2sajlq said:
I_Like_Pie":2x2sajlq said:

I've never thought the V-block was an accuracy factor in my 77/22V. It seems solid and tight enough. I've always thought a too-generous chamber was my problem (though it's not as bad as a Rem 541 I once owned).
myself i always thought closer attention to the bolt halves would have helped a lot and not cost a ton.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I really don't think the V-block is the problem. It's the chambers. The V-block doesn't keep my newly built 10/22 from piling Wolf MT into 3/8"@50yds. Nor the press-fit, pinned barrel of my 541T and Savage MKII.