M77, 1972, need some help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
Picked up a M77 sn# 70-6130x today. After all the years of seeing terms used here on the Forun I realize I don't know squat about Ruger Long Guns and trying to understand RENE just made things worse.

The rifle is a flat bolt (flat bolt handle, plum also) with tang safety ( heard the term and the safety is on the tang) and red pad. 7mm mag, and I don't know the difference between Short and Long Action. Barrel has the Southport Roll Mark and no billboard. Stock is walnut with gloss finish, pistol grip and checkering and has a Weaver scope mounted.

Guess I just want to know something or anything about these older M77s since I live in the Old Model area of the Forum. Thanks and be gentle.

trapperon

Blackhawk
There were a few variations for the 7mag back then in the 77 series. All were walnut and blued and either had factory sights or plain barrel. Also the receiver was either a round top with plug screws for scope bases or it had the ruger ring cut outs.

Ron

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
You have a nice one. Undoubtedly it has factory sights. That would make it an ST (sights and tapped for conventional bases). Very few long action flat bolts were made and an ST flat bolt is pretty darn scarce. The early 7 mm magnums such as yours had the medium contour barrels like the .338s. They soon changed to the lighter 30/06 contour. It also has a Douglas barrel. Don't be surprised if you get offers to buy your rifle. I feel a little lust creeping in myself! Posting pictures here is mandatory!

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Oops! Just noticed you said Weaver scope MOUNTED. I initially read Weaver scope MOUNTS. If it has the Ruger rings, it is an RS if it has sights (lust still in place) or if a plain barrel an R model (lust in check). In any case a very collectable, desireable rifle, depending on condition.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I was thinking your serial number is a little high for a 7mm flat bolt. In checking my reference material, it is outside the known serial number range for a 7mm, although flat bolt .338s are higher. Your serial number is in the ST range 0f other calibers and I suspect your rifle is an ST. The known serial number range could have just been expanded. Some detailed information on the rifle would be greatly appreciated.

Chance

Buckeye
Hard answering questions and providing descriptions since I don't really understand the language. But here goes.

Plain barrel, no sights. looks to be a round top receiver, Weaver scope is mounted with Weaver rings. Will get some pics posted in a while.

Thanks for your help.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
If the rifle has no sights and has the round top receiver that is drilled for conventional scope bases, it is a PL model. PL stands for "plain" and was not a cataloged model. These were available to distributors who moved a lot of rifles, at a discount. Actually, a 7mm PL flat bolt would be more scarce than an ST but still collectors generally favor the ST. There is just something about those sighted rifles!

Chance

Buckeye
Here are some pics. As can be seen the complete sn# is 70-61309

412781965.jpg

Chance

Buckeye
Thanks 3DTESTIFY
I don't see a hole, but don't know exactly where to look.

BTW: Just found a pic of Flat Bolt online. Now you know why I pleaded ignorance in the original post.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
I stole this picture from someone, and give whoever it was the credit for putting it together. :mrgreen:

Middle "hollow bolt" with hole in bottom.