M1 Carbine Style Stock for 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Remember a few months ago a fellow stopped by here to say he was working on these? Apparently they're now available:

http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProdu ... ber=M1GCCK

I'd order one TODAY if I were sure it would take a standard USGI front barrel band (modified) and if I could get it un-drilled for that ugly front sling swivel. Looks like they're made overseas so I doubt I could get a special order put through.

I guess I'll just drive on with my project to Dremel out a GI stock to take the 10/22 action.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Since when was there an M1 Garand carbine???

The latest Shotgun News "Treasury" issue has a write-up on converting an actual Garand stock for a 10/22, down to modifying the Garand barrel to work with the Ruger receiver. I'd do that before this....

Snake45

Hawkeye
Richbaker":ax4umbci said:
Since when was there an M1 Garand carbine???
IIRC, they built two of them during the war. Called T26, maybe? Been lots of homebuilt conversions to same over the years, often referred to as "tanker Garands." I've handled (though never shot) two or three.

pics-firearms-t26-compare.jpg

I suspect they may have written it that way in the text of the add because it allows for a easier catch when doing a web search...

kind of pretty but that but pad is really funky.... very short stock with only 12" of pull unless you put the big rubber thing on the end.

Snake45

Hawkeye
blume357":11bim5z7 said:
kind of pretty but that but pad is really funky.... very short stock with only 12" of pull unless you put the big rubber thing on the end.
It's got the same LOP as a real GI M1 carbine. That's why I want one, because I use an M1 for my "house gun."

mag318

Bearcat
I just ordered one of these from another source, I'll let you guys know how it is when I receive it, definately looks cool.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I think the garande part might come into play with the stock extension where it takes the carbine to M1 Garande length.

Charlie

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The gun referred to as the "T26" is actually a post-war conversion. There were never shortened Garand rifles issued (although there are some non-patterned experimental designs commonly mistaken for "jungle" Garands) before Beretta contracted to build the BM59, made only in Italy and only in 7.62 NATO, late in the 1950's.

10/22's are cheap enough to build into any config you want. There is no wrong answer as long as they remain reliable and legal.

CraigC

Hawkeye
MikeJinVT":42xbvndn said:
I was thinking about one of these with the TechSights. Anybody have this particular setup?
Tech Sights are excellent! I prefer the dual aperture TSR-100 version. Sighted dead-on at 50yds, the second aperture is very close at 100yds.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Interesting to say the least......That said, 115 dollars for wood seems too much for me to go to the buy side, at least for now. It's cute and interesting, and something to mezmerize your Pals, but, "That" is 50% of the cost of a new(ugh!! Plastic!! Matte!!) 10/22. For now, I am hunting the real steel/alloy "old model 10/22's........... JMO and I respect your interest in the product. Looks like the importer is making the bucks on this one. BTW, what the hell is that fit on the butt plate? Looks like they designed that piece first............MIKE

Snake45

Hawkeye
First one who gets one of these things, please tell us:

1. Does a USGI front band fit it?

2. How does it match up with a USGI wooden handguard (that's not cut out for the silly 10/22 rear sight)?

3. Will a USGI carbine buttplate fit it?

If it can be adapted a bit, I might buy one (even if it means puttying up the hole for that stupid front sling swivel with plastic wood. That'll be hidden by the sling most of the time, anyway).

mag318

Bearcat
I received my blonde stock today and it looks great. It was packed very well and shipped quickly. I have to go out of town so I can't put my Ruger into it until later this week, but so far so good.

mag318

Bearcat
I got home tonight and put my 10-22 in the new stock, it fits perfectly and the inletting was flawless. For some reason I'm having trouble posting photos here, but take my word for it, these stocks are beautiful and really dress up the 10-22. I'm impressed.

Snake45

Hawkeye
On Rimfirecentral, the fellow behind these stocks is saying that they might do a run of handguards without the cutout for the factory open sights. Some of us are trying to convince him to do a run of the stock NOT inlet for that goofy front sling swivel.

He also says the sights should be available soon. The rear will be just a little dovetail adapter into which you install the "real" M1 carbine sight of your choice (flip or adjustable, early or late). A compatible front will be available later, though the rear will work with the Tech Sights front in the meantime.

I think I'll press on with my own plan to adapt genuine M1 sights to my 10/22. My plan will allow a scope (in high or see-through rings) to be mounted as well, and maybe some types of red dot.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
-Anyone pondered grafting the new Mini-14 front sight onto a 10/22 barrel? That'd be a huge first step for an M1 Carbine treatment.

No hurry - Ruger won't catch on to this for another 20 years!

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have a USGI M14 front sight on my workhorse 10/22. I'll be building up my second one to look like an M1 carbine.

102266-1.jpg