M-77 Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RockyMtnDan

Bearcat
Hi All, I'm net to the forum so if this question was previously discussed just point me to the thread. I've had an M77 in .270 for about 6 years. I love it except for the trigger. I was able to polish the sear several years ago and it is smoother now but still too heavy (6.5 Lbs.) Is there a good way to drop this to 3 or 4 Lbs? Or do I have to buy an aftermarket trigger?

wwb

Hunter
Either Timney or Rifle Basix. Not sure if they still support the M77, though. I have a Timney on My M77 .30-06..... but I put it on about 20 years ago.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
You can find Timney triggers for Rugers here:
http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index ... t_list&c=8

I notice they have just announced one for the 10/22. Pretty pricey at $150.

I have a Timney in my M77 .308 UM based on the tang safety model. It was not a simple installation, there was quite a bit of stock work needed.

But the results are worth it.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
the later m77's did not have a trigger that was user-adjustable for pull weight. mine is a mid-80's manufacture, had about a 5.5 lb pull. i had it worked over by a gunsmith. cost was in the $65-70 range, if i recall correctly. anyway, it now breaks like glass at almost exactly 3 lbs. really amazing what he did with the factory trigger.

RockyMtnDan

Bearcat
Thanks for the tips. Is the Timeny installation something that someone who is fairly handy can do without specialized tools or am I going to need to take it to a gunsmith?

wwb

Hunter
RockyMtnDan":1ul3n5xi said:
Thanks for the tips. Is the Timeny installation something that someone who is fairly handy can do without specialized tools or am I going to need to take it to a gunsmith?

All mine required for installation was a little bit of Dremel work on the stock - it could also be done with an X-acto knife and a small round file.... just easier with a Dremel and a sanding drum.

Other than that, the only tool required is a screwdriver.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
I have put a Timney in any and all M77s I hunt with. Except for some minor stock alterations as already mentioned, it is very easy to install, and the gun is that much better (from a utility point of view) for the effort. You will like that trigger I am sure. Keep the original stuff, as it will go right back in. The stock mod does not have any effect on the gun as viewed with action in it.

I would add you will need a roll pin drift as the trigger housing is pinned on the older M77s anyway.

kennel boy

Bearcat
take the spring out and reduce the outside diameter just a little at a time, or purchase a reduced power spring from Wolffe it take minutes and the results are excellent. I have several M77's and you can achieve a perfect trigger! I do it myself even with the LC6 trigger.