M-77 trigger color-new question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Can anyone tell me the significance of the SS trigger vs the blued trigger in a M-77 (NOT MK II) ? Was it a change in function of the trigger or just cosmetic? The action is stamped M 77. the Pre-fix is 772-xxxx. I have a similar configuration with prefix 770-xxxxx, but the trigger is blued.

Well, to expand this discussion, the gun in question is an RSI, M-77, prefix 772 in 7mm 08. New in the box. Can you tell me the value I should expect to pay (or receive if I were the seller)?

Thanks.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
The RENE "Notes" that between s/n 771-08134 and 771-16408 the M77 trigger was changed from blue to stainless.

A few years ago I dropped of a M77 in 7mm mag. off at the Ruger factory in N.H. I wanted a new stock, as it was cracked, and asked if they would do some trigger work as well. When I picked the M77 up, the customer service rep. brought the 77 out for me to inspect and try the trigger. As I was looking the rifle over the Rep. mentioned, " the smith at the factory who did the trigger work kept the blue trigger as he, the smith, felt it was a better trigger than the stainless".

I was unaware that the 77 had a blue trigger and probably would not have noticed if it was blue or stainless if the rep hadn't mentioned it.

That's my little experience with that 77, I never shot it before I sold it. :mrgreen:

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Thanks 308. My motive for the question is better reflected in the added question above. I believe the 7mm 08 in the M77 (Pre-MK II) was never catalogued, but this is the first time I have seen on with the silver (SS) trigger.

chet15

Hawkeye
208packinheat":31zmlvcz said:
Can anyone tell me the significance of the SS trigger vs the blued trigger in a M-77 (NOT MK II) ? Was it a change in function of the trigger or just cosmetic? The action is stamped M 77. the Pre-fix is 772-xxxx. I have a similar configuration with prefix 770-xxxxx, but the trigger is blued.
Thanks.

Its nothing more than a running production change. It is much easier and cost effective to produce one component in one metal instead of the same component in two different metals. Making these parts in stainless on a blued barreled action also adds better aestetics to the rifle.
The stainless bolt is another of these changes, brought in on the blued action Mark II when the series was introduced.
And Ruger did the same thing with their Sec-Six series, changing the blued chrome moly hammers and triggers to stainless in mid-run.
Chet15

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I really prefer the looks of a blue bolt handle as on the Magnum. I would also prefer a blue trigger. Just kind of looks unfinished to me. Eye of the beholder I guess. At least it isn't 'gold'.

bcp

Bearcat
But Ruger wasn't making a SS tang safety 77, to use that SS trigger in a blued rifle to reduce inventory/simplify production.

???

Bruce

mattsbox99

Hunter
Silent Sam":1rjbmwdx said:
I really prefer the looks of a blue bolt handle as on the Magnum. I would also prefer a blue trigger. Just kind of looks unfinished to me. Eye of the beholder I guess. At least it isn't 'gold'.

You mean Geauxld... like my Marlin 1894... I would much rather have a stainless or CCH Blued trigger than the uber phony gold color. I'd probably like Brownings a lot more if they didn't have that ugly trigger.

chet15

Hawkeye
bcp":qgxnshvr said:
But Ruger wasn't making a SS tang safety 77, to use that SS trigger in a blued rifle to reduce inventory/simplify production.

???

Bruce

Yes, you're right...didn't think about that. But when the trigger was changed on the M77 (1987), Ruger may very well have been gearing up for Mark II production (introduced 1989).
It is known that Ruger went exclusively to a stainless receiver Red Label shotgun as they found some technique that actually made it easier to work with stainless. Maybe the change has something to do with that?
and of course for the bolt rifles, there are the aesthetics.
Chet15

dljacko

Bearcat
The blued trigger is smoother than the stainless and i would prefer it rather than the stainless one.

Latest posts