M 77 screw recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oakfall

Bearcat
I was just given an older M 77 7mm and noticed the recall on the trigger screw. Is this something I really need to replace?
Thanks,
oakfall

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
If you are talking about the kit to replace the travel screw in the trigger to make it not adjustable then no. I believe that was what the screw was about but I do remember it was a thing that was not a real unsafe correction type of recall. More of a ruger coving their ass just incase someone wanted to sue thing. I got several of the kits but since I had my triggers worked over by a good gunsmith(3-4lbs)and they are safe I chose to leave them alone. Been that way for many years and not a problem with them.

wwb

Hunter
It won't affect the trigger at all.....

The original overtravel screw would occasionally loosen and drop out. The replacement screw has a nylon locking patch so that it will stay put.

Get the replacement screw from Ruger.

resident

Single-Sixer
The new screw is NOT a nylon locking screw. It is an all-steel modified-head locking screw. (It has the appearance of an enlarged/flared-head.) When it is installed...it purposefully upsets the threads in the trigger-group, thereby locking the setscrew, and prevents future adjustment/repair of that area without additional gunsmithing.

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
I got that screw from Ruger several years ago for my M77V in 25-06. I have never replaced it, then again the rifle has never been fired either.

resident

Single-Sixer
wwb":104qh34l said:
It won't affect the trigger at all.....

The original overtravel screw would occasionally loosen and drop out. The replacement screw has a nylon locking patch so that it will stay put.

Get the replacement screw from Ruger.

I finally got a sensible cust. svc. person at Ruger who carefully chose his words to comply w/Ruger's policy, but which clarified my understanding of this "problem".
It's not a case of screws loosening and "drop" out. It's a case of owners improperly monkeying with their overtravel adjustment and creating a dangerous condition where the rifle can fire unexpectedly or fail to fire completely. The screw which is removed and replaced is a "locking screw" (trigger overtravel set screw).... it "locks" the (trigger overtravel adjustment) screw BENEATH the replaced-screw from being mnkeyed with. Once the new screw (which is NOT nylon but is all-steel whith a locking-head) is installed...an owner cannot change that adjustment because the new screw upsets threads AS IT IS INSTALLED...thereby locking itself into position, and thereby guarding the actual adjustment screw beneath itself.

Since I have no desire to change the overtravel adjustment of my triggers I did not install the new screw in the "kit".