M 77 R Tang safety Question!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gaftw

Bearcat
I have a Ruger 77R in .243 I bought new in 1980 as my first real rifle.
It was my primary hunting rifle here in Georgia for 20 years and it was always accurate and deadly. I never had a deer go out of sight!
I kind of went longbow and handgun about 17-18 years ago and the Ruger is in the safe.
I got a craving to shoot it again and was thinking of a Boyd's stock.

The original has about 10,000 dings from climbing trees with it slung to my back and I would like to dress up the old girl a little.

Do all I need to order is "M77 Short Action Tang Safety" or is there something else I need to check on.
Thanks!
Frank

Cholo

Staff member
I hope you keep the old stock for the memories.

My most beat up gun bar none is a tang safety Ruger .243 77RL, a deer slaying son of a gun. It doesn't look like much cosmetically, but every nick, ding and scratch has a memory attached. I contacted Ruger in the middle 90's to see if they'd repair the stock. No, they'd only sell me a new one. I'm glad I didn't.

Gaftw

Bearcat
Thanks! Tons of memories and I will keep and slightly rehab the stock and one day one of my Grandsons can have the rifle!

that's why I took my 77V 280 out of the back of the safe this year, even thru I didn't get a shot with the old gal it was nice to have her out and about , i hadn't shot it probably in 10 years or more , still had/have over 100 rounds of my (154gr. Hornady spire point over 4350) reloads for it , clean the scope put 3 rounds down range , just a tad high and right of point of aim , wasn't even enough to bother making an adjustment

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Shoot, been using a 77r in 30-06 for deer hunting for 41 years and if I am going after elk or moose, I use a 77r in 338WM that is 42 years old.