M.77 Mk.II in .250 Savage?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ed333

Bearcat
I saw a used Mk II m.77 at a dealers, in .250 Savage. Serial number indicated it was made in 2000. I don't find that caliber listed for that model and year in the Blue Book. ??? They had a pretty stiff price on it, would that be because of rarity factor?
They also had an m.77 RSI tang safety model (circa 1984) in .243, with a Leupold 4X RF Special scope on it, for the same price. Would that be a better buy?
I am looking for a fun shooter, moderate recoil, punch some holes in paper, do some casual reloading, and enjoy looking at it/handling it. I like the LOP and feel of the Rugers.

lucky guy

Bearcat
The tang safety models are a bit more desirable, good triggers, and the 243 is ammo you can find anywhere. The 250 is more rare and probably why it seems a little high, especially for a MkII. I'm looking for that exact rifle now. If you don't buy it I'd like to get a look at it.

I saw those rifles on Friday. The 250 Savage had a custom barrel on it. It was definately not worth the price. Most all the guns in that store were very high. It looked like a fun shooter.

Mike

Ed333

Bearcat
lucky guy":10lb9apn said:
The tang safety models are a bit more desirable, good triggers, and the 243 is ammo you can find anywhere. The 250 is more rare and probably why it seems a little high, especially for a MkII. I'm looking for that exact rifle now. If you don't buy it I'd like to get a look at it.

for $899.99, I am not buying it. It is at Cabela's, Scarborough, Maine. The wood did have nice figure, it had scope rings and no open sights. S.N. was
787-23528, which i read to be 2000. Black rubber butt pad. Just curious as to the calibre, re-barreling could explain it.
Am I under-estimating the market price on these?

mcknight77

Blackhawk
The custom barrel on the .250Savage explains that. I know of no MKII .250s and I couldn't find any reference in Chad's book.

I agree that the prices are high, but if you like the rifle(s), make an offer.

I have tang safety RSIs in 7mm-08 and .308Win and enjoy them both.

Ed333

Bearcat
went back today and looked again...looks very much like a re-barreling, the bluing is different from the receiver, not as glossy, no legend stamped on barrel, just the calibre notation, and remember, the S.N. indicates a 2000 manufacture date. So the question in my mind, does this make it more valuable, less valuable, or it justl depends on whether you like it for shooting...

I went ahead and bought the 1896 Swedish Mauser that I had originally gone in to see...passed on all the Rugers...

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Without records on who made the barrel and who installed it, I'd be unwilling to pay a premium for it. Especially considering you should be able to buy a factory tang safety .250Savage for about that same price.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Lloyd Smale":3iixkqi6 said:
only 250s out of the factory were tang safety guns.

Wasn't there a stainless RSI with walnut stocks in 250 Savage last year that was a distributor special (Lipsey's perhaps?)?

I remember seeing them at local shows. Cool little rifle...

BB45C

When I looked at the rifle on Fri., it looked like a very good gunsmithing job. The barrel was marked with the caliber only and it was in script, if I remember correctly. The barrel diameter was larger than factory and the barrel channel was opened up to take it. It would have been a good buy at about $550 or less. Cabelas is generally high in price on used guns from what I have seen. I will say that they were well stocked in ammo though and it wasn't bad priced. It is just a shame that I have to leave Vermont if I want to see alot of guns.

Mike

C6S1C

Bearcat
Saw the same one today....the gunsmithing work was fine. I agree with MikeJinVT....it would a good buy at 550.00.

C6S1C