Lyman/Ideal 358156 Hollow point

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
Played around with something similar several years ago. What I found was that I had to use a much softer alloy than I was excpecting or-else the nose would break-up on impact. On the other side of that coin, if it's too soft, penetraition gets hindered because the bullet gets too fat too quick. After a good bit of effort, I finaly decided that it would be real hard to beat a plain-jane LSWC for most any use I'd put a lead bullet to...and BTW, a soft LSWC expands too...just not as much, or as violently.

I guess it depends on what you're after.

Hope something here helped.

DGW

GP100man

Buckeye
Ifin ya gonna hunt ya don`t need anything like this

I`d much rather use 1 of these

My BareBottomed 358156 (gas check shank removed) going 1150-1200 fps
Isotope alloy with 1% tin added looks like this after shooting into wet sand ( I was trying to tear the nose off ,but it held on!)

I started at 12gr. of 2400 & stopped at 14gr. ,the boolit started skidding a bit thus gas cutting set in & would start leading the barrel , BHN was 12.5

Another boolit I use as HP & is actually easier to get the nose to do what I want is the 357446 & has been easier to use in the 38spc.

I generally stay in the 12-14gr of 2400 , or between 1k & 1200 fps .

GP

Jim Puke

Hunter
GP100,

Thanks for the pics and info.

I was not intending to use the hollow point 358156 mold...only the standard as I have no use for a hollow point bullet. I asked about the hollow point because most people seem to have it and it's accuracy and leading traits would probably be the same.

Your bullets look good and the load is something that I will probably try.

GP100man

Buckeye
Don`t take what I say the wrong way ,I`ve never HPed a mold in 357 caliber that did`nt shoot better groups & HPs DO have their place .

HPing a mold changes the point of balance of a given boolit & in my findings with the 358156 & 357446 when down loaded (we`re talkin as much as possible without stikin 1 in the tube)will tumble/keyhole before it`s solid counter part simply because after HPing the base is now heavier.

The DC mold is a 358156 deshanked & the SC is a 357446 HPed

While I have classic designs in 1 & 2 cavity steel molds (4 cavity molds in steel are heavy !) I do the majority of my .357 casting with the Lee 158 gr. rnfp & the NOE 358429.

& a word on the rnfp designs , I have a NOE 360-180 mold that`s rnfp that 1 cavity is plain based & 1 is GCed
both have HP capibility & I have tried this boolit in all it`s configurations & speeds & there is minimal difference in performance. I feel it`s design & sheer length of the boolit (& weight).

My rnfp molds I`ll say this , (for me & my mediocore shooting ability)I`ve never shot a "bad" group but you can certainly have fun wringing em out !!

silverback

Blackhawk
I was just thinking about these hp molds.

I am getting ready to jump into reloading again after a long long long time away. so I am in the leraing curve. I am looking for the best 357 round for 2 and 4 legged creatures out of the security six and my m92 levergun 20 inch barrel.

I have shot thousands of 158 and 125 grain manufactured loads and can shoot egually as well.

I am leaning towards the 158 grain for both roles. (your comments appreciated) I think it should serve well.

i would like to cast my own.

i would also want to keep lead fouling down to as little a possible.

i defer to the expertise of members for input.

thanks in advance.

sixshot

Buckeye
I used that bullet a lot on jackrabbits & it was awesome, it was like shooting a pillow, you could see hair in the air for 5 minutes after the shot. I hated making them because it was so slow but the rabbits hated them more than I did.
I used 38 special brass & 13.5 grs of 2400 in a 357 maggie, this load is too much for 38 specials!! Mine were just air cooled WW's & a little leading was fine, it cleaned up at the end of the day. I couldn't use it on cottontails, there was nothing left but ears!

Dick