Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arctos

Bearcat
I ordered a copy hoping for good cast bullet load data, but I'm a little disappointed. No +P loads for 44 Special or 45 Colt, though they do have all three pressure levels for 45-70... Not as comprehensive as I would have liked.

Chapters 1-15 by Mike Venturino, and one each by Brian Pearce, Tom Acheson, and Robert Block. I don't cast, but I'm new to reloading, so I'm sure I'll find some useful information in it.

Has anyone else seen a copy? Any thoughts?

Landric

Bearcat
I got a copy last week. I agree, not as much data as I was hoping. No .357 Maximum, no heavy bullet loads (over 100 grains) for .32 H&R or .327 Federal, not nearly enough data for .444 Marlin (I was hoping for data for the Lee 310 grain RFGC), the list goes on.

It seems to be a good book, but not a comprehensive as I had hoped it would be. I'm not sorry I purchased it, but I would like to have seen more.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
When I heard who was editing and writing most of it I decided to keep my previous edition. I have long known the man is light on the doing and strong on creating nothing more than a re hash of other peoples work.

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
I recently got a copy of the Lyman 4th edition also. I too am disappointed with it. Being a big fan of the .45 Colt, the load data was limited. The articles did not help.

Save your money and buy Dave Scovill's book, Colt's Single Action Army, Loading and Shooting the Peacemaker. Full of information about loading cast, a lot of load data for various cartridges and just a good read in general. Don't let the title fool you, this book covers all the bases for everyone.

mikld

Blackhawk
I too was disappointed in the 4th Edition, but not for load data. I think the "text" section is not as new caster friendly as the 3rd, unless one is into black powder cartridge shooting. I normally tell someone to look for a 3rd, and if they can't find one, get a 4th.

Enigma

Hunter
mikld said:
I too was disappointed in the 4th Edition, but not for load data. I think the "text" section is not as new caster friendly as the 3rd, unless one is into black powder cartridge shooting. I normally tell someone to look for a 3rd, and if they can't find one, get a 4th.

Good advice. I've kept all my old ones (2d, 3rd editions), and don't plan to ever trash them!

Three50seven

Buckeye
I've had the fourth edition for a year or so and I'm not completely satisfied with it either. There is lots of good data in there, but it seems to be lacking a lot too. The 30-30 section leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sure there are more, but that one comes to mind since I have been working on cast loads for my Marlin 336. I also just bought the Lyman 50th edition manual and most of the data from the cast manual is in there as well, along with jacketed data. But once again, I'm not totally satisfied with it. I suppose that's why we all have several manuals...

Latest posts