LUCKY SHOT

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Today 2 of my son's wanted to do some additional long range shooting (rifles) we've been going every day for several days, they are getting ready for a Wyoming deer hunt next weekend & have done a lot of shooting out to 800 yds, both are deadly. There are some real long shot possibilities where they will be hunting.
Anyway on the way back to town the oldest grandson wanted to ride on the 4 wheeler that was loaded on the trailer, his dad said it was OK & we took off back to town, it was dark & we were going slow down an old gravel road (private) then out of nowhere a big jack starts running down the road, blinded by the headlights, he blasts out into the tall grass & we keep driving, another mile & we jump another jack, they are everywhere this year! He is really motoring & I ask Shane how fast we were going, he said 28 mph, we start gaining on the jack even though the road was rough, the jack just stays ahead of us & when we top the hill & start down Shane speeds up & the old jack lays his ears back & really hits the afterburners, he's going down that hill at 35 miles an hour, Shane pulls over to the left side as I grab my OM 357 from the Barranti rig & roll down the window, I'm desperately trying to find that front sight in the darkness at 35 miles an hour on a very rough road. The jack is going straight away & the big Keith slug smacks him right in the tail pipe & he rolls 30 feet! My grandson was still on top of the 4 wheeler & watched the whole show, he was hollering & whooping when the jack started tumbling.
Most likely the luckiest shot I'll ever make, at least I had 3 witnesses.

100_2178.jpg

This is me & my grandson Ridge, he just kept saying, grandpa that was an awesome shot, over & over, he couldn't get over it.

100_2179.jpg

Two of the other grandkids wanted to get in the picture, the 8 yr old cut one foot off the old jack, said he wanted a lucky rabbits foot!........... I didin't think he was all that lucky!

100_2180.jpg

Dick

Cholo

Staff member
sixshot, I admit I'm green with envy at the good life you seem to live. Huntin', fishin', Rugers, and with family to boot. You have a great writing style as well. Keep up the good work! Though there's many Forum members whose posts I like, I do believe I like yours the best. I always look forward to your next Great Adventure...which is never too far away.

You wouldn't mind a house guest from Ga. for the next, um 10 years or so...would ya? :wink:

az6gun

Bearcat
Dick, Did you have time to install ear protection or are they still ringing from the crack of the 357? Hopefully just a hot 38?

contender

Ruger Guru
I can easily believe the shot happened. All of us who do a lot of shooting occasionally have that one crazy occurance that delivers us a very odd lucky shot. I know,, there is still the occasional talk about me hip shooting a bumble-bee out of the air with a SA 357. (I couldn't hit a bull in the butt for 30 min after that one from laughing.)
But as I read this one,, I kept recalling the time I was in the Army and was shooting a S&W model 27 with an 8-3/8" bbl that had been tuned some. This gun was deadly. Well, one of my pilots & I were talking about shooting,, during a flight one day and I commented about bagging a deer from my Huey with a pistol. Well, the bet was made,,, (a case of beer,) and when we had the occasion to burn some time off a Huey, and the "right" crew, (No one who'd tell on us,) I took my S&W on a flight. Well, we finally found the deer I wanted to take,, a fat 6 pointer,,, and we chased him with the Huey. I was hanging out the side door, braced on the jump door, with a hot mike giving the pilot instructions on how to move. When the deer finally got confused as to where to run & slammed on his brakes, I had the Huey roll out & I aligned the sights with his spine area. He dropped like a stone. (When I skinned him, I found I was about 10"
lower than I'd aimed.) I think I got 1 beer out of the case at the platoon party a few weeks later,, but the bragging rights,,,! Wow!
Nailing a jack,, like that is WAAAYYY cool though!

sixshot

Buckeye
Well the shot certainly was luck, bouncing down that gravel road at 35 mph doesn't help the sight picture much & it hit the old buck right in the Pelosi, a good shooter would have made a head shot. :cry:
Yes I had ear protection & the load was 5.2 grs of 231, a very nifty load out of the OM shorty with the Keith slug.
Cholo, you'll be the 4th adoption this week but thats ok, stop by anytime, always something to shoot at, might have to settle for a badger instead of a buck but they're all fun.

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
Wow! The only thing that could be better than that would be if you used your little carry gun that you used on your last badger. Can'tshoot Call

americal

Hunter
MAN those grandboys look alike :) esp. their hair 8) another great event by sixshot :shock: keep it going, the boys will all want your guns :p just a few more years or is it NOW :lol: :lol: I once shot A pigeon on a concrete beam under a river bridge all I could see was its head an just little of its back about 30yd's away 9.5 single six was my tool got lucky :!: shooting about 1,000 rds. a week back in those days 1990's :D

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
That is an amazing shot for sure....
I remember once long ago, I was 15 or so, at my buddies farm, we came out of the old house & there were 3 or 4 pigeons setting on the peak of the old barn about 75 yds out. I loaded that .177 pellet in the old break-barrel, spring gun, pointed over the barn at them & pulled that trigger. I remember seeing the pellet fly out of sight & seemed like I missed,...then seemed like a long time, one of em rolled off the roof to the ground. We both stood there with our mouth open.
Believe it or not, after that Donny always called me "dead-eye-Dick". 8)
To this day, I don't know how I ever made that shot! Luck I guess..... :lol:

Thanks again Dick for the great photo's & your neat experiences to go with them. your grandson will remember it forever, I'm sure.... :) Thanks for sharing it all with us too...

americal

Hunter
RUFFBIRD that beats my shot for sure--deserved the name :) good memories ain't it 8) 8) sixshot & contender more than beat my shot :lol:

Spike66

Bearcat
Oh sure. The rabbit is racing along thinking that he's winning the race.... then all of a sudden BAMB, right in the bunger! :shock:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
:lol: Dick, do you shave your legs, or wax ? :lol: Just kidding...........
Another great shot, and story........
Keep 'em coming, Elmer......... I mean Dick :D

contender

Ruger Guru
I love to see stories like these. I will totally claim I've been blessed with more than my share of luck in shooting, finding a good woman, winning a few raffles,, etc.
When I was a kid,, a pool shooting fool I knew used to say that if he had his skills, and my luck he'd be a millionaire.

sixshot

Buckeye
Jeff, funny you should mention my legs, just yesterday my wife said.........you sure have nice legs! Then she said, its too bad when your husband has prettier legs than his wife. No, I don't shave them. :D
She's still teasing me about that shirt you sent!
Dick