Low profile hammer for Vaqueros

Help Support Ruger Forum:

heartbar

Bearcat
I have heard the easiest way to get a low profile hammer on my Vaquero 45's is to install a Super Blackhawk hammer on them. I have an OM Vaquero and a New Model Vaquero… do they take the same replacement (Super Blackhawk) hammer?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Semantics yes but it's basics...you have 2 New Model Rugers - a Vaquero and a New Vaquero. Says just that right on the side of the cylinder frame and both, like all since 1973 incorporate the New Model design.

As for the question...yes.

Good luck finding a new hammer. Brownells and Midway have been backordered for months. I called Ruger and the nice lady put me on a list. I've had luck posting a WTB here.
Eric

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Vaquero and the New Vaquero are two different sized guns. Some parts interchange and some parts don't.

The Super Blackhawk hammer is a "drop in" on the Vaquero. Since the New Vaquero is a bit smaller there may or may not be some "relatively minor" fitting required. I dunno since I've not attempted the procedure.

The lower, rear semi-circular profile of the Super hammer may or may not match the profile of the "pair of grip frame ears"......

Still, there shouldn't be anything that prevents the swap from being doable!

JMHO,

flatgate

Terry T

Buckeye
Since the 'Montado' hammer seems to be a regular production item now (see the SASS set in the 2010 catalog), you might see if Ruger would sell the hammer as a replacement part for your New Vaquero.
Terry T