Low Country Boil ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I thought this deserved its own spot in case someone not going to Contender’s place might see it.

We had out last meal in San Diego, it was a beach party, out on the beach, and the food was, I thought, from the low country boil ingredients. But in thinking about it; I’m not so sure.

Last night, they had small batch fryer’s filled with water. Then on an individual basis, they had mesh bags which had lobster, jumbo shrimp, clams and mussels. Then some potatoes, onions and carrots.

Not much in the way of seasoning though. Hardly any that I could taste. They boiled the bags, then cut them open into a bowl for each person.

Served with clarified butter.

But someone from Atlanta called it a high country boil. Then someone else laughed and called it a California boil. But I don’t think that exists.

I guess I should look up the history of this dish. Both my wife and I loved it. With the butter it was just fantastic. The lobster tail was also very, very good.

Comments? Are there different varieties of this meal? I’m sure there must be. Like a boiled Irish dinner, different locations must have different twists on the same theme.

krw

Blackhawk
Youtube and TikTok video’s shows 1000’s different ways. In Ark we use Crawfish, tAters, corn, sausage, mishrooms. Zataran’s hot spicey. Butter, lemons, oranges

eveled

Hunter
My understanding is the low goes with boil, not country.

A low even boil, if you have enough water (big pot) to hold the heat you can shut the burner off.

The country part is the rustic method of serving it. Newspaper on a picnic table is preferable to fine china any day.

Last edited:

gunzo

Buckeye
Not trying to be argumentative as I don't know, just offering another thought.

I thought "Low County Boil" was pertaining to the fact that it was a coastal area type of food & way of cooking (lower altitude) as opposed to the traditional food or cooking style of Appalachia.? N. & S. Carolina.

Here's some info I found:

Why is it called a low country boil?
Over the years the dish became more popularly known as "Lowcountry Boil" because of the key ingredient, shrimp, which is a principal product of the Lowcountry. Many recipes differ, but the staple ingredients of shrimp, sausage, corn and potatoes remain the same.

How do you serve Lowcountry boil?
Place the seafood boil on newspaper or serving platters and garnish with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges, melted butter, cocktail sauce, and hot sauce.

What is another name for low country boil?
A low country boil, also known as a tidewater boil, beaufort stew or beaufort boil, and most commonly, Frogmore Stew

Whats the difference between Frogmore Stew and Low Country Boil?
Low Country Boil and Frogmore Stew is one and the same. Frogmore is a little area in SC between Savannah and Charleston. Typically it will consist of potatoes, Sausage, corn, onions and shrimp boiled in a crab boil season.

What is a High Country Boil?
A high country boil is exactly what it sounds like. Its a low country style boil, using invasive Signal crawfish, that are caught in the high country. The high country being the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada.

IT DON'T MATTER WHAT IT'S CALLED IT IS, FER SURE, FINE EATIN'

eveled

Hunter
I stand corrected. A real crawfish boil is on my bucket list. Someday….

My experience is that the low country boil or frog more stew (the two names I've heard most) are pretty much potatoes, corn, sausage and shrimp..... cooked with old bay seasoning.... personally if I was going to fix it for friends I would add onions and peppers and some of those jalapinoes... but then what do I know. ......

Angryman

Bearcat
I’m from Charleston, SC. RoninPA is correct about the lowcountry boil description. I’ve never heard it called that though. It’s always been frogmore stew or Beaufort stew. I grew up on the water. This area is called the lowcountry. The upper part of the state (like Columbia) is the up country. Same same though. Just depends on where you were raised.

Angryman

Bearcat
I also really want to go to a LEGIT crawfish boil. I eat them here of course, but I’d sure love to get in on some Louisiana goodness one day!

Hey,
We know how to fix those Ole Mudbugs in Texas.
1663611270256.png

1663611524639.png

Along with Turducken
1663611782825.png

1663611852521.png

Just to show Bob W we do eat PIG at least when we are real hungry.:)
1663612292550.png