Low Budget Custom: Two-tone Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I have trouble leaving stuff alone. I'm always trying to improve the function or appearance of my motorcycles and especially my guns.

I've had this Blackhawk .45 convertible for a few years. It's nothing special, just a standard New Model Ruger, one of millions. As of last month, all I'd done to it was install a Power Custom free spin pawl. To me, this makes them a little easier to load.

Here is the "before" picture:
IMG_1625.jpg

It shoots fine, but I never cared for the alloy grip frame. Perhaps if it were anodized, like they used to come, I wouldn't mind it. But the paint finish or whatever it is they use now just didn't appeal to me.

So I started looking for a stainless one, and just such an item recently appeared here in the classifieds. I got it in the mail last week and immediately went to work installing it. The fit wasn't perfect, but with a little filing it lined up quite nicely.

Next, I found a stainless ejector housing from another forum member, and some pins to round out the package. I wouldn't mind fitting a stainless cylinder, and I think an unfluted one would look especially nice. But that's more money than I want to spend right now.

I may shine up the stainless parts later. I did a little hand polishing and got them a bit shinier than the factory brushed finish, but less so than a mirror shine.

These are the "after" pics. I realize they're not the best quality images, but you can kind of see how it turned out:
IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

I'm also tempted to come up with some fancier grips--maybe have Patrick Grashorn or Sack Peterson carve up some stag, or perhaps make my own, like the set I made for a Vaquero a few years ago, from bloodwood.

LeftSideAfter.jpg

I'm sure happy with the way this Blackhawk turned out. It is, of course, noticeably heavier. I'm okay with that, because I don't carry it much. I find the two-tone look very appealing.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bravo, that's a great improvement.
The grip frame you used is an earlier vintage than your gun, that's why the ears are a little short although no big deal. But if you come across a later vintage or current model grip, it will fit your main frame. The main frames and grip frames were raised as a production expedient so both the standard main frames and Bisley frames were the same size. The later hammer base was enlarged as well to match the taller ears of the grip frame.
Since Ruger does not case color the frames, the all blue is a little drab. Way back when I first wanted steel grip frames on my OM Rugers, the Ruger Old Armys in stainless were the only ones available so I wound up with two tone Rugers and decided I really liked the look plus the extra weight in my hand to help dampen recoil with large caliber guns.
44 FT
orig.jpg

357 OM
orig.jpg

NM 32 mag
orig.jpg

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
The grip frame you used is an earlier vintage than your gun, that's why the ears are a little short although no big deal. But if you come across a later vintage or current model grip, it will fit your main frame. The main frames and grip frames were raised as a production expedient so both the standard main frames and Bisley frames were the same size. The later hammer base was enlarged as well to match the taller ears of the grip frame.

Thanks, Jim. That's good info.

I'm really not bothered by the ears being a little lower than their mating surface on the cylinder frame. If they'd been too high, I'd have ground them down, but I'm not going to file on any of the blued parts.

The part in front of the the trigger guard fell off center by about .006". On the right side, it sits inside of the cylinder frame's lower edge by that much, and on the left side it was overhanging. I filed it to match perfectly flush on the left, and I'm happy. The mismatch on the right is barely noticeable; in fact, it's not noticeable at all unless you're really looking.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
One of these days...............

I keep thinking I'll do a two-tone stainless and blue Ruger.

One thing I don't care for (personal opinion) are the Ruger medallion inserts, prefer plain wood. And of all things, the Uberti Cimarron Model P I recently bought comes with gold toned inserts.

The color of your wood grips looks good on your gun, to me.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
And, furthermore............

Wouldn't it be neat to take a stainless Blackhawk frame and grip frame, fit a blued barrel, cylinder and ejector assembly. Maybe even have the frame photo etched in the manner of an old Remington?

There's just more possibilities than I have cash.

Bob Wright

Hugh

Buckeye
I like the look with the pins added, nice touch; not real wild about the ERH swap though.

Here's my 4-5/8" New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt caliber. Stainless grip frame and actual ivory grips. I put a blue steel ERH on it. Not my favorite caliber, but it is my favorite shooter by far.

rugernewmodelblackhawkc.jpg

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Love the ivory, Hugh!

Bob, reverse two-tone may indeed make for a cool looking Blackhawk.

I've come up with one more addition (sort of) for this one. I decided it deserves a nice holster, so I've ordered one from Barranti, should get it in a week or two. I know this is no first gen Colt or Linebaugh custom, but that doesn't mean it can't ride in the finest leather money can buy, does it?

BRL

Single-Sixer
I always wondered what a NM would look like with polished pins...pretty nice!

I'm in the process of replacing the aluminum with SS on my OM Single Six as well.

Lookling good KWYJIBO! 8)

Enigma

Hunter
As long as we're showing pix of our pintos, here's one that I did several years ago. It began life as a .357 Mag; it's a .45 Colt now. I specified that I wanted a heavy matte finish so as to blend the appearance of the dissimilar metals a bit. It shoots great; too bad I don't at the moment. :roll:

I have since replaced the horrid Ajax black plastic grips with ebony.

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Enigma, that is one tough looking revolver, with the ebony grips and matte stainless/matte black combo. It looks like a weapon you'd carry not when you want to show off, but when you mean business.

What kind of front sight is that?

Enigma

Hunter
KWYJIBO said:
Enigma, that is one tough looking revolver, with the ebony grips and matte stainless/matte black combo. It looks like a weapon you'd carry not when you want to show off, but when you mean business.

What kind of front sight is that?

That's the standard sight base with a partridge blade in it. Thanks for the compliments; it's a very stout, accurate revolver that will last the rest of my lifetime and be suitable to pass down.