Low back Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbowjm

Single-Sixer
I recently acquired an old Speed Six that seems to be a little unusual . I'm hoping someone on the Forum can enlighten me . The gun is a blue Speed Six. , round butt , 4 " barrel 357 magnum . No box was with it . It is serial # 150 - 557xx . It is probably 98 % condition . Anybody who can shed a little light on what I have would be appreciated .
I don't do pictures before you ask . Thanks in advance .

jbowjm

Single-Sixer
I recently acquired an old Speed Six that seems to be a little unusual . I'm hoping someone on the Forum can enlighten me . The gun is a blue Speed Six. , round butt , 4 " barrel 357 magnum . No box was with it . It is serial # 150 - 557xx . It is probably 98 % condition . Anybody who can shed a little light on what I have would be appreciated .
I don't do pictures before you ask . Thanks in advance .
I do know that it is a "low back " .

hittman

Staff member
You subscribe to RENE?

What other info are you looking for? Several double action fans here that can help.

jbowjm

Single-Sixer
I do subscribe to. RENE . There's not a lot in there about the D/A 's . I was just curious about HOW rare this gun might be . I.have found there's no where near the info on Double Actions as Single Actions out there .

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Congrats on you purchase. Low back first picture, second for comparison.
DSC00536.JPG

DSC00537.JPG

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Welcome,
got this one a few years ago at a LGS for a good price. 38 special but all my others are .357, actually found a like new set of grips for the low back. For that just in case accident.
Enjoy yours

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
So I just read your last PM and I figured since you have also started this thread, I might be able to answer whatever your questions are about the gun. As indicated in the ad link provided by hittman for the one I am selling, this configuration in the lowback guns is pretty rare.

What other info are you looking for?

jbowjm

Single-Sixer
Ruger doesn't give out production figures for individual models so we have to guesstimate by using serial numbers that collectors have or have researched over the years (notice the posts asking for serial numbers of certain models)
I am aware of that & I guess collecting the DAs hasn't been widespread long enough for a lot of information to be accumulated. I have quite a few very informative books on Single Actions but can't find one on the Double Actions . Thanks for the comments.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
As you may have seen in the RENE Ref, there is no estimate for the SS34, only 8 serial numbers for known SS82 (.38 Special, 2.75") guns, and two of those are mine.

In an unpublished draft, Chad lists one of each of the other 3 models, SS84, SS32, and SS34 but again, all of those are my guns.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Yes, as I indicated in a PM, there are no collector books on the -Six series DAs. I started writing one about 15 years ago and only made it 50 pages in, which was only up through the lowbacks. And by the time I got done with the lowbacks, I had learned more about them and knew that it needed revising. So the highbacks seemed like a monumental task, one that I wasn't monuMENTALLY prepared to start, and I never got back to it.