Low and left

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My LCP II is, at 15 feet, firing about two
inches low and about three left. Tried three times different types of ammo. Shot two handed hold off a rest. While not expecting MK II accuracy I would like to be somewhere near POA (point of aim). I can probably take a little off the front sight to fix the elevation problem but I am open for suggestions as to how to move the fixed rear sight to the right.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Try one diagnostic dry-fire trial. Use your two-handed hold and rest again if you wish. Align the sights carefully and aim at a small target, and as you perform your usual trigger pull carefully watch only the front sight, Note what it does. In spite of your certainty right now that the problem is not you, the odds are a good 90% that it is. Trigger control on little guns of this type is difficult and absolutely critical to making it shoot where you point -- and odds are you will see the sight go down and left.

If it does, be happy. You can fix it with just proper practice.

I did your 'dry fire' exercise 20 times, at a very small target, the green power on light on my computer speaker. Each time the front sight stayed on target or moved ever so slightly (less than half the front sight width) right.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I have found that when ever i have a firearm that is shooting "off" a bit, the best thing I can do is give it to one or two known shooters and see if they have the same issue. It is what it is. While you may 'think" you are doing everything correctly, it is always best to verify.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Pretty sure I know how to operate a trigger. Shot competitive pistol for years. The trigger on this particular pistol breaks at about 3 lbs so it is relatively smooth.
Un huh. Like I said, give it to a few others and see how they do. Then you know for sure. Even Pro shooters get coaching and critiqued on their performance, and the winners, the smart ones, pay attention to what they are told..

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I own an LCPII .22lr and a couple of Glock 42's(love them). I have been shooting and training peole my entier life and worked as an instructor etc. When i was shooting my 42's one day, it kept hangin up and I could not figure it out, Checked everything etc. No joy. Finally had one of the guys video tape the shooting session(we could do that where I worked) and there it was. because of the small size of the firearm, I was inadvertently touching the side of the slide, ever so slightly, with my support hand thumb and did not even know it, because of recoil etc . Once i changed my grip a bit and paid attention, I never had another failure.

jimirwin

Bearcat
My LCP II is, at 15 feet, firing about two
inches low and about three left. Tried three times different types of ammo. Shot two handed hold off a rest. While not expecting MK II accuracy I would like to be somewhere near POA (point of aim). I can probably take a little off the front sight to fix the elevation problem but I am open for suggestions as to how to move the fixed rear sight to the right.
I get this quite often in my gunsmith shop. It's THE most frequent complaint. Always right handed shooters shooting down and left. (Lefties will shoot down and right) They all put their first joint on the trigger and pull by flexing their knuckles, instead of the second joint. I tell folks that God designed us with a target (fingerprint) on each finger at the middle of the first bone. Center that over the trigger then concentrate on flexing the second joint so that you pull STRAIGHT back in line with the bore of the gun. Feels funky at first, but it really works! Also, do not grip with your pinky finger. Let it just rest and go along for the ride.

I usually suggest a good solid rest and shooting it "offhand" and seeing the results.
New right handed Glock shooters seem to have the most issues with the low and left thing.

Invest in a Mantis X (or X3 or X10). The X cost $100; you may also want to get the bore adaptor or use the universal adaptor that comes with the X. Mantis will tell you likely what you are doing wrong and score each snap. You may be tightening the fingers as you press the trigger-or not. I am assuming you are right handed.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Indeed micropistols can behave wierdly in full size adult hands (insert several anecdotes ) . But we've read here in this forum several accounts of such being returned to Ruger and having bbls and slide stops replaced under warranty .

A good juncture to remind the rule of thumb to not purchase a gun until it has been in production for at least 1 year .