Lost my Vaquero last weekend.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Put

Single-Sixer
I took my 16 year old daughter out deer hunting last weekend. This is the first time she has wanted to go deer hunting. She loves to dove hunt but I was surprised when she told me she wanted to go deer hunting. I jumped at the chance. We had a blast and I think I have a new hunting partner. Being doe season we only saw bucks. (Eight to be exact and 2 were over 160) So we did some pistol shooting. Well it seams she is a better shot than her dad. We shot the GP100 than the Vaquero. She loved the 45. In fact she now clams it as "Her Gun" it sounds like a good excuse to buy another one

IMG_1744.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
That's great! 8) Always good to bring another into the Ruger realm. :) As for her being "better than dad"...I've often found females that want to shoot are usually great shots. They seem to concentrate more and not be driven by testosterone in what most consider a man's activity. Kudos to her!

M'BOGO

Buckeye
It doesn't get any better, another lover of the SA, and a reason to get another vaquero. When I saw "lost" my heart sunk, this is a better than Hollywood happy ending.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
That's fantastic! I don't have a daughter, just two sons, and they both shoot. But having a daughter that shares her dad's sport is just super.

You are truly blessed. But then you already know that!

contender

Ruger Guru
OUTSTANDING!!!!!! I love it when ladies of all ages get involved in shooting & especially hunting. Give that young lady a hug,,, then give her the gun! Go buy another one.
Next,, get her some proper shooting instruction,,, from a qualified pistol shooter. Her grip needs work. That "off hand" is in the wrong place,, and as you can see the gun's recoil is causing the gun to rise up at a leftward angle. Get her stance aligned to where she has better balance,, (I see a lot of ladies lean backward when they shoot,) so it helps control recoil. She needs to be standing square to the target, feet at least shoulder width apart, and standing upright,, leaning SLIGHTLY in towards the target.
Lastly,, help protect her by getting her a good set of safety glasses.

PLEASE don't think I'm critizing,,, it's just the instructor in me coming out to help make her a better shooter.

Hey That is great.
FYI There are a lot of CAS clubs around you. I'm sure she would love it and you would to. Now that is a real good excuse to buy more guns. :lol:
Jim
My Daughter and her husband.
KathyjeffEL.jpg

My Grandson doing a little black powder.
ChadBPEL.jpg

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Nothing better than taking someone hunting. A son is a joy, a daughter a treasure. I recently took my daughter hunting for her first time. I cannot express what a terrific time we had. She was afraid that not having a TV was going to drive her crazy. For three days we didn't have time to watch TV. First hunt, first shot, first deer what a treasure!!

Congrats Put, you have a hunting partner for life.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I think the reason most females are better pistol shooters is because they don't have bad shooting habbits to overcome like most men do that think their way is better. Women are usually taught the proper way and not having to overcome old bad habbits to get it right. I have found that most women are great pistol shots when shown the proper way to shoot from the start.

winchester243

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":5y9wnw5k said:
That's great! 8) Always good to bring another into the Ruger realm. :) As for her being "better than dad"...I've often found females that want to shoot are usually great shots. They seem to concentrate more and not be driven by testosterone in what most consider a man's activity. Kudos to her!

My 20yo daughter went out with some friends on New Years day to shoot .22's, none of them knew she could shoot and lent her a 10/22, she out shot them all. I think she impressed some of the guys, lol.

Dale53

Blackhawk
What a heart warming thread!!

A year ago my wife and I celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary. I had my two sons and son-in-law here for the week (along with their families).

Naturally, we had a challenge match. All three of the "kids" did extremely well. I trained the kids at IPSC with rifle, pistol, and shotgun. My son-in-law is an ex-Naval Officer with a fondness for good guns and the outdoors. My oldest son is a retired Colonel (with Delta Force for the last eight or nine years). It was a wonderful week.

My kids are not as enthusiastic about shooting as I am but all are more than competent and NONE will be voting anti-gun. That is my legacy and obviously the people on this forum agree.

FWIW
Dale53

A

Anonymous

Nice story. If you play it right this is a perfect excuse to buy another gun.

Cholo

Staff member
Great pic Put! I hope you keep that young lady interested in shooting. My daughter liked it at that age and I let it fall by the wayside. It's one of those "if I had it to do over again"...

I just wish she quit reminding me that she gets "her" S&W when I pass on :wink:

Put

Single-Sixer
Well I belive she will continue. She is ,umber 4 of 6 kids. If they all keep a gun they like it would get real expensive. Although the collection keeps growing.