Lost extractor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
Took one of the 10-22's out plinking last night and while using an Eagle 30 round magazine the extractor decided to take a hike. Thinking that the shooting was over for the night because I was standing in ankle high grass I went to the shed to piddle. While messing around in the shed I came across a heavy duty magnet that was Dad's. I took this magnet back out to where I was standing and after 2 or 3 passes I came up with the extractor. After I put it back in I ran 5 standard magazines through the rifle with no problems. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the extractor to flip out was a stove pipe casing pushing back on the extractor. Seems like every time I use one of my Eagle magazines I end up having some kind of problem.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
You were "VERY LUCKY" to have found the extractor IMO..
I've never had one come out like that but have broken them on two MKIIs & a 10/22 all with hundreds of thousands of rounds threw them..
Nowdays I put a Volquartzen extractor in every Ruger I own & have at least two factory spares in my stash..
I'm currently down to just one Ruger, A 20" 10/22 with Fiber Optic sights..
I need to aquire another MKII soon..
I hear alot of "Bad Rap" about the Eagle 30 round magazines but in my experience I have had "Good Luck" with the Eagle magazines, In fact I just picked up a couple more a few months back..
Gary aka berettapistols

9x19

Hunter
You were even luckier the spring and plunger remained in the bolt so you only had to find the extractor and put it back in...

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
Very lucky I didn't lose the spring and plunger. I have fired it about 4-500 times since and still no problem. Had to be a stove pipe that pushed the extractor back and flipped it out. I think I'll order a VQ just in case it happens again.

45longcolt

Bearcat
My 10/22 works without an extractor. I had a situation where a case blew and launched the extractor to a Black Hole somewhere. I continued to shoot and it continued to throw out the empty cases and load the new ones so I kept shooting.

I used to shoot so much I wore my firing pins out rather quickly, a brick a weekend for years! I figured it up and it came to like 21K rounds a year for several years. Anyway I got pretty good at making firing pins for these things. I even got the heat treatment part down too to where it would last a week or so before my new pin came in.

Great you found yours and the plunger and spring stayed with you.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I'm sure you know this but a phone call to Ruger telling them you broke either a firing pin or extractor will result in a FREE part being shipped to you ASAP.. They will require the serial # though..
Ruger is without a doubt the best customer oriented company I have ever dealt with..
I own 4 S&W revolvers & one S&W center fire auto & need to make my next couple of purchases a Ruger..
I owe it to myself to buy another Ruger MKII..
Just wish they still made them but the market is still loaded with them currently.. Just like I wish they made 10/22 trigger groups out of Aluminum instead of plastic.. Or is that just the Chargers??
This will give aftermarket trigger groups a boost in sales though..
Gary

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I had a case go pop on me and blow an extractor out. Out of the next three mags, I had 4 FTEs so I put it away. When I got back into town I ordered a half dozen factory extractors from MidwayUSA.com since they were dirt cheap.

30 years of 10/22s and this is the first time I have had to replace something, so I figured why not get a handful?

scuffler

Bearcat
How do you get to the extractor and how do you take it out please?

Thanks ahead of time for the reply's

blkhawk

Bearcat
I had an extractor claw fly off into orbit from my MK II once. I too was lucky the plunger and spring were still there. Didn't know anything was wrong until I had a stove pipe on every shot and then saw the extractor wasn't there. I had called Ruger about it but still had to pay for a new extractor and for the 2 firing pins that had broken in the MK II (about 10,000 rounds through it as it sits now).