Loose Single Ten grip from the factory. HELP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I bought one of the new Single Ten Lipsey specials in blue. When the gun arrived, the nice thin grips move around on the frame. Upon inspection, it appears that the hole for the frame pin was drilled oversize and is bigger than any other factory grip pin hole. I attempted to put the factory grips from an older single six on it, and it appears the new frames have a slightly different pin location. Instead of re-doing the grips to fit the new location of the pin, they just enlarged the hole to allow the pin to go into it, but it is an oversize, sloppy fit.

Here is the question:

Is there some product that I could fill the oversize holes with that would allow me to put the grips on and then when it hardens be able to remove them again that would tighten this up?

OR is there another way of doing this? I often get ideas from you guys that did not occur to me and I learn a new way of doing it.

All help is appreciated.

I have compared holes in the grips then and now, and they are different so please save me the "you are seeing things" or "are you sure" they are not the same size. The pins are comparable. I was able to get a set of Hogue grips to work by slightly enlarging the hole in one direction while keeping a firm fit on the pin. They just drilled the hole bigger and I would like to use the original thin grips rather than just throw them away.

Louie

Bruce H.

Bearcat
You might want to try coating the roll pin in your grip frame with vaseline, filling the oversize hole in the grip panels with plastic wood, then placing the grip panels correctly onto the grip frame and tightening down the screw to hold them in place until the plastic wood cures. I think that the vaseline will prevent the plastic wood from sticking to the roll pin. After the plastic wood has cured, remove the grip panels and clean off any vaseline and excess plastic wood. I have read about people using epoxy to do this, but I would be afraid that you would glue the grip panels to the grip frame if you use epoxy.

gak

Buckeye
...Or, similarly, epoxy fill. Once dried (as you know, doesn't take long) mark the pin and re set. Drill out the new location.

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
To drill a grip accurately, remove both sides, and then with a plastic gun-smith hammer, tap the roll pin flush to one side...

Locate the grip to be drilled on the 'flush' side of the frame...Secure it with tape where you want it so that it does not move...Flip the frame (gun) over, and drill through the roll pin...This gives you a pilot hole to drill for the pin size later...

Remove the piloted grip, and tap the roll pin flush the other way and repeat with the 2nd grip panel...

Then tap the pin back so it is centered...

Now you can accurately drill the piloted holes to the correct size for the pin...

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
Agreed on the epoxy. Out of habit I just use JB Welds general purpose epoxy putty and it works fine for stuff like that.

My sense is that factory drilling / placement of the alignment pin is not entirely consistent even within the same model and configuration (stainless steel, etc). It's this rather than any difference in grip frame contours that causes sloppy fit. It only takes 1/16 of an inch difference really to really throw things off.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I just put a release agent (wax, grease, etc ) on both sides of the locating pin and partially fill the holes in the grips with some epoxy. put grips on and align them where you want them and snug down the screw. Remove grips later and cleanup any epoxy that may have been squished from the grips.

caryc

Hawkeye
The single ten is a new model for Ruger but the grip frame is not new. Ruger's parts are interchangeable. The single ten grip frame is the same one used on the blackhawk.

I get a lot of customer grip frames sent to me and I've seen the grip locator pin holes drilled "off" in more than just a few. My theory is that Ruger uses some kind of drill jig to drill that hole. It could be that some employee with a hangover on a Monday morning is not so careful when cleaning out the drill shavings from the previous frame so the next frame doesn't not quite fit into the jig as it should.

Anyway, here are pics that I took comparing the same Ruger plastic grip on two different frames. They are self explanatory.

F-bad1.jpg

F-good1.jpg

F-bad2.jpg

F-good2.jpg

F-bad3.jpg

F-good3.jpg

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
It is a very easy fix.I like to fill the hole in the roll pin with oil based clay.You could use plumbers putty,beeswax,parrifin or even lip stick.Then coat the pin and surrounding areas with paste wax as a release agent.Mix up some 5 minute epoxy,fill both locator holes in the grips and install them.Check for best alignment before the epoxy sets.

Let the epoxy cure for 1/2 hr to an hour and you are done.It's a very simple job that takes minutes.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rifle barrel stock bedding compound and release agent works perfect for this kind of issue and you won't have to redrill the holes in the grip panels.

If Ruger sends you a new set of grips they won't fit right either for the reasons Cary illustrates. If they could send you an oversize set, not fitted to a gun yet, you could fit them to your grip frame. But that won't happen with the black hard rubber grips since they are moulded to shape.