Loose round in vehicle "went off"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kmoore

Buckeye
No loose rounds for me ever. There in boxes or speed loaders, speed strips or magazines. I clear my pockets at the range. No loose rounds carried when hunting big game, small game or birds. Just another accident to avoid. Before everyone left my range I had them clear their pockets. If they wanted ammo they could get a box and put them in it.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I’m calling BS on that loose round going off. Sometimes I run loaded ammo in my vibratory case tumbler. Makes loaded ammo look like new money.
Rolling around in the floorboard is nothing like a firing pin strike. I just don’t see it happening.
Maybe that ammo was in Alex Baldwin’s gun.

Old and grumpy

Bearcat
We worry about live rounds. How about empty cases? Took my grand daughter shooting. About 4th grade. A empty 22 case got in her pocket. She found it in class. The big mouth kid started talking about it. Ended up with a parent/teacher/principal meeting. Both were shooters and understood but had to go through the steps. She was on probation. If it happened again she would be out. Now she turns out her pockets when we get home.

Old and grumpy

Bearcat
Also when I cook down range lead I check for old crusty rounds. They can look like rocks or junk.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I don't 'go to the range'(have only been on a public range a couple dozen times including trap shooting) , I live ON THE RANGE which begins just beyond my garage. I haul a rifle(or 3) everywhere I go and normally have 2-3-4-or more different calibers in magazines, pill bottles, flip top MTM boxes, duct tape re-enforced paper FL boxes, AND EVEN SOME ROLLING AROUND LOOSE IN THE CONSOLE. At this point, the only discharge I've experienced was a ??? round that went down the defroster and lodged in the heater core where it got hot enough to blow. Caused a coolant leak in the heater-darn it.
I did have a 22 rimfire round detonate in a camera bag when it shorted across a 9V battery-tore a hole in the bottom of the camera bag.

vito

Hunter
I've had fired cases end up in my range bag, but never loose rounds anywhere. As a kid I would sometimes put a 22 on the trolley tracks, hoping to get a pop when the trolley rolled over it. Thats a lot more direct than rolling around on the floor of a vehicle, and most of the time nothing happened other than the trolley wheels flattening the entire round.

krw

Blackhawk
Good Gosh, You can het in any truck I own and find 22LR, 9mm, 308, 223. And you may find 260 an 45LC. I will bet I have never sold or traded a truck that didnt have ammo in it. We jus do things a lil different down here

link doesn't work for me anymore... but as I posted before... I got loose rounds rolling around every where. No big deal.... I've even burned some and had them go off.. the most dangerous thing about a 'loose' round going off is if a piece of the brass breaks off or if it sends some small piece of trash around it flying.... One of the dumbest scenes in the recent TV movie/series Dark Winds was the hero Leaphorn dropping a round in the fire and it going off and 'shooting' one of the bad guys in the leg.

Some years back I saw a show (might have been Myth Busters) that set a container, with cases of ammo inside, on fire to see what happens. It was determined that the bigest danger was a piece of brass hitting you.

harley08

Single-Sixer
I don't 'go to the range'(have only been on a public range a couple dozen times including trap shooting) , I live ON THE RANGE which begins just beyond my garage. I haul a rifle(or 3) everywhere I go and normally have 2-3-4-or more different calibers in magazines, pill bottles, flip top MTM boxes, duct tape re-enforced paper FL boxes, AND EVEN SOME ROLLING AROUND LOOSE IN THE CONSOLE. At this point, the only discharge I've experienced was a ??? round that went down the defroster and lodged in the heater core where it got hot enough to blow. Caused a coolant leak in the heater-darn it.
I did have a 22 rimfire round detonate in a camera bag when it shorted across a 9V battery-tore a hole in the bottom of the camera bag.

??I did have a 22 rimfire round detonate in a camera bag when it shorted across a 9V battery-tore a hole in the bottom of the camera bag.??
How could that happen? May be 22's are loose in their cases??

Dave Schwaab

Bearcat
I shoot weekly. Most of the time, I am shooting .22 LR through one of my Mark IIs, or my SR22. Living in the People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey, that means, pretty much, that I am at a range. With the barriers between the lanes for the flying brass to bounce off of, I have seen it end up in some pretty strange places!

In order to keep the little buggers rounded up and under control, so that they can't make a successful break for independence, I use a simple means of holding and dispensing them. (My .45s are all Single-Actions, so they're not much of a problem.) I use several empty cartridge boxes from CCI Mini-Mag 100 packs, which, conveniently, also fit very nicely into the mag pouches of my range bag. I load them from my bulk packs at home, then I can slide the cover back and dump 10 rounds at a time onto the loading bench for use. If I get new ammo in the 300 packs of CCI Meateaters, I can simply pry out the empty divider from one box and drop in one of the loaded dividers from the 300 pack. With only 10 rounds loose at any one time, keeping them from escaping is easy.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I shoot weekly. Most of the time, I am shooting .22 LR through one of my Mark IIs, or my SR22. Living in the People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey, that means, pretty much, that I am at a range. With the barriers between the lanes for the flying brass to bounce off of, I have seen it end up in some pretty strange places!

In order to keep the little buggers rounded up and under control, so that they can't make a successful break for independence, I use a simple means of holding and dispensing them. (My .45s are all Single-Actions, so they're not much of a problem.) I use several empty cartridge boxes from CCI Mini-Mag 100 packs, which, conveniently, also fit very nicely into the mag pouches of my range bag. I load them from my bulk packs at home, then I can slide the cover back and dump 10 rounds at a time onto the loading bench for use. If I get new ammo in the 300 packs of CCI Meateaters, I can simply pry out the empty divider from one box and drop in one of the loaded dividers from the 300 pack. With only 10 rounds loose at any one time, keeping them from escaping is easy.
I also refill the plastic CCI trays! Works fine.

ned

Single-Sixer
I had never been to that site before.I liked it.
this is probably urban legend , as is bs, but there was a story of a bubba replacing a popped fuse in his pickup with a .22 round that later went off. I can’t see it…but the world is full of things I don’t understand

kmoore

Buckeye
This was told to me back in the mid 70s from a guy I worked with selling firearms. I ended up knowing this guy for a few years and never thought of him as a BSer.
He said he had a relative, who during a hunting trip had a loose 3006 round in a breast pocket. At a store he bent forward over a counter and the round fell out, discharged and killed him. I found it hard to beleive then and still do, but would not say it's impossible. The hard part is not knowing what set off the primer, followed by did the bullet kill him, the case or other debris. So I leave it up to you to beleive it or not.

Dave Schwaab

Bearcat
For the past couple of weeks there has been a sign up on my range saying that live rounds in your shooting station should be covered when you are firing your weapon. I asked the Range Officer about that sign today. Here is the explanation I received.

A patron was shooting his .45 ACP pistol, and had the tray of loaded rounds sitting out of the box on the table, with the primers up (as they are when shipped in the boxes). When he fired, the ejected brass bounced off the divider and hit the tray of live ammo. The edge of the rim of the ejected brass hit the live primer of one of the rounds and set it off! The explosion shattered the tray, scattering live rounds around his station, and the hot casing, with little damage because of the confinement of the tray, landed on his arm and burned him.

Don't think that live round being thrown around the floor of your truck could be set off? You'd be surprised what can happen.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Back when I had my 1990 Bronco with a console I would keep various calibers and other assorted stuff . Occasionally a few rounds would escape and roll around . Now that truck went down every rough, rutted road in 3 counties and I never had a round go off. I am not saying that it can't happen but it is extremely rare and requires really special circumstances.
I've seen all kinds of tests, on ammo from drop tests, running over it, crashing into it and never even heard of that. It takes a barrel to direct the energy, and there's just not that much energy if it's not directed. I've not clear what had to have happened here.

Latest posts