Loose loading gate on New Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a well loved New Vaquero. The last time I shot it, well, the last several times, I've noticed the loading gate is loose. When it's closed, it kind of wobbles just a little.

Is this a hard fix? Do I have to take the gun completely apart to fix it? It must just be a tiny spring that holds it shut, yes?

If it's too much, to fix, I might just take it to a gun smith.

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes it just may be a burr in the area of the gate and the spring in the frame, can manuever a small screw driver and give it a push ,may pop up, and properly 'engage' the bottom of the gate ,or if its deformed, then the gun has to come apart....

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The gate spring is stout! But as Dan referred to above, it may have slipped out of place, You can see the spring and where it should be engaged with cyl removed. If it is sticking out a bit right where the gate hinges and pivots, just pop it back in place. This doesn't happen often but can on occasion.

princeout

Blackhawk
Here's a picture of the tip of the loading gate spring where it sits against the gate. As Hondo says, it can slip up over onto the gate. Sometimes you can persuade it back into the right position with a push with a non-marring tool (wooden stick).
C8ED4D04-42CD-4023-ADCD-447761AB10FA.jpeg

Latest posts