Looks like Ruger killed off the 9mm "Super GP100".

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Personally, I'm on the hunt for the now-discontinued Redhawk in .45 LC (4" bbl) that came with Bianchi speed clips so you can shoot .45ACP through it too. They're pretty rare, though, and going for too much money. I wonder if those speed clips would work with my .454Casull/.45 LC Super Redhawk though …? LOL. Guess I can try to find a couple of the speed clips and test it out. That pistol is a MONSTER though.

NikA

Buckeye
If it's the 5032/5050 model listed as 45 Auto and LC, the cylinder is cut for the clips and they will not function on a cylinder that is not relieved for them. There was a company cutting Ruger Redhawk cylinders for Moon clips before that model became available, maybe they could do something for you.

ETA: TK Custom still offers this service explicitly calls out Ruger .454/.45LC to ACP. 200$ plus shipping. Might be cheaper to find a good Redhawk convertible.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I have one of the first .45 LC/ACP Redhawks I bought in about 2015. What is that the 5032? It has the standard Redhawk front sight , not that dovetail thing the pic of the 5050 has

It isn't the most accurate with .45 ACP, it's designed as a .45 LC that can shoot .45 ACP is needed. Not primarily a .45 ACP

NikA

Buckeye
5032 is traditional solid barrel with plunger-style front sight. 5050 is sleeved barrel assembly with what appears to be dovetailed front sights. I haven't handled any of the sleeved guns to be able to comment on the relative merits of that system.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Sounds to me that Ruger built a niche gun for competition, and everybody who wants one already has it.

Myself, I honestly don't care for the looks of either the Super GP, or that S&W posted back up the thread. If I shot competitively, I might be willing to give it a look.

I certainly wouldn't turn down a GP-100 in 10mm, or a .357/9mm or .45 Colt/.45ACP convertible Blackhawk, though.

contender

Ruger Guru
ProfessorWes,, yes,, the gun's idea was for competition, and Ruger does sponsor a few competition shooters.
And no,,, not everybody who wants one has one. Several people I saw at the Area 6 match commented on wanting one. One guy, said he knew of 7-8 people who would love to find one.

I truly enjoy mine,, and it'll get back into a Level I match this coming weekend. Unfortunately,, at Area 6,, I didn't do it justice. Them "smiff boys" beat me out. (My fault.)

And before I got the Super GP,, I was using my Match Champion in 10mm. But my convertible Blackhawks are not for USPSA competition. (Yes,, I have both the .357/.9mm & .45 Colt/.45 acp Blackhawks.)

ProfessorWes

Hunter
ProfessorWes,, yes,, the gun's idea was for competition, and Ruger does sponsor a few competition shooters.
And no,,, not everybody who wants one has one. Several people I saw at the Area 6 match commented on wanting one. One guy, said he knew of 7-8 people who would love to find one.

I truly enjoy mine,, and it'll get back into a Level I match this coming weekend. Unfortunately,, at Area 6,, I didn't do it justice. Them "smiff boys" beat me out. (My fault.)

And before I got the Super GP,, I was using my Match Champion in 10mm. But my convertible Blackhawks are not for USPSA competition. (Yes,, I have both the .357/.9mm & .45 Colt/.45 acp Blackhawks.)

Maybe so, but I suspect the corporate bean-counters at Ruger thought the same thing I did.

Personally, I'm on the hunt for the now-discontinued Redhawk in .45 LC (4" bbl) that came with Bianchi speed clips so you can shoot .45ACP through it too. They're pretty rare, though, and going for too much money. I wonder if those speed clips would work with my .454Casull/.45 LC Super Redhawk though …? LOL. Guess I can try to find a couple of the speed clips and test it out. That pistol is a MONSTER though.
I just shoot Cowboy 45 which are the same length as 45 ACP. I just run them using speed loaders at no real extra cost. Starline sells the brass and Tombstone Metallic Cartridge in southern AZ sells loaded ammo.

I'm just now reading this thread.

My questions:
Contender, first I'm glad you like the gun. Have you ever seen another one of these guns? Or know anyone that's got one?

I'm wondering how many Ruger made?

It's like those 8 shot 327 Blackhawks. Which makes me wonder if it's because people don't like 8 shot revolvers?

Could that be it? That the traditional revolver is a 6 shot the way Clint Eastwood asked was that 5 or 6 shots?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have seen (3) other Super GP's in 9mm & (1) in .38. Currently,, I know where another one is located,, but the owner isn't wanting to sell it to me,, yet,,,! :D

Production numbers aren't released by Ruger. No idea as to how many have been built.

pctech

Bearcat
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Redhawk 5050 45acp/45colt has been discontinued -- it's simply not in production right now (and hasn't been for a long time) which is why it's still listed on the website but as "Currently Unavailable". Typically when Ruger discontinues something it disappears from the website entirely.

Additionally, within the past few weeks I read a post on another forum about a conversation a guy had with Ruger customer service. Basically he was told that they are having a lot of difficulty finding skilled labor to run their revolver production lines, which is why they are only making their most popular core revolver products at the present time. He was supposedly told that their less common models listed on the website as "Currently Unavailable" would eventually come back into production, but they had no idea when that would end up happening. This makes sense to me, but please take it with a grain of salt since I didn't hear it directly. :)

5032 is traditional solid barrel with plunger-style front sight. 5050 is sleeved barrel assembly with what appears to be dovetailed front sights. I haven't handled any of the sleeved guns to be able to comment on the relative merits of that system.
I only have one of the sleeved barrel Redhawks, a 4" 8 shot 357 Mag. I really don't notice any difference between it and a standard barrel. But, it's probably for ease of manufacturing more than anything.

NikA

Buckeye
I only have one of the sleeved barrel Redhawks, a 4" 8 shot 357 Mag. I really don't notice any difference between it and a standard barrel. But, it's probably for ease of manufacturing more than anything.
How's support for switching the front sight? Most of mine have aftermarket front sights that are easily swapped with the spring-plunger system.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'd be content to finally pull the trigger on a 9mm SP101 before they go to the "Currently Unavailable" bin

I had always wanted to have one of my GP100 cylinders cut for .38 Super /9mm but I'd be afraid of mediocre accuracy . I'd love a 3" GP100 in 9mm from Ruger, just a standard GP100, no "race gun" BS

CarNDrvr

Bearcat
Hey guys. I'm brand new to this forum. I'm looking to buy a Super GP100 in 9mm. If anyone knows where I can locate one I'd be willing to offer a fair amount. If the guys who think they're ugly have one and want to let it got hit me up please. I have one in .357. Would like a 9mm as well thanks.

Hey guys. I'm brand new to this forum. I'm looking to buy a Super GP100 in 9mm. If anyone knows where I can locate one I'd be willing to offer a fair amount. If the guys who think they're ugly have one and want to let it got hit me up please. I have one in .357. Would like a 9mm as well thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone who's thinking about replacing their Super GP100 will see your post!
:)