Lookingfor advice on custom 44 special build

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jerry475

Bearcat
Hello all, I am new to the forum and I am looking to for direction from all of your experience. I am going to have a custom .44 special built using a .357 blackhawk "medium" frame. I am going to use this because I would like to have the cylinder line bored. My question is which is th best frame to use, a new 50th anaversery flat top or start with the old model 3 screw blackhawk (non flattop)? I will have a Power #5 grip frame and a custom barrel, any advice or watchouts would be appreciated.

Axehandle

Buckeye
I don't see how you will ever get by with less than one each.. Make sure that the sight base pin is low enough and the 3 screw gun can be flattopped....
001-1.jpg

001-45.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As mentioned above,, you can get a 44 spl in a medium frame from Ruger. It'll save a LOT of $$ in custom work. Spend the $$$ on custom work on a gun already built like you need.

CraigC

Hawkeye
As nice as the new flat-tops are, my first choice will always an Old Model. I just prefer the traditional half-cock action. I really don't think the factory .44Spl will make much of a dent in the custom gun market. We .44Spl devotees love out custom guns. ;)

This one has since been fitted with antique ivory micarta.
P1010025.JPG

2 dogs

Buckeye
We can help you with any questions you might have. There are some serious 44 special affectionados here. From the top left, a #5 style by Clements, a complete custom #5 by Harton in stainless, a 1 of 100 #5 by Reeder, and 2 TLA's on the right.

P1010020.jpg

It depends on how "Custom" you want to be!

2 dogs

Buckeye
Not a custom, but certainly to be recommended are the 44 special Freedom Arms model 97's! You can buy one today and use it while you wait for your Custom to be built and never miss a day of shooting bliss! Pictured with a Clements #5 with Pecan stocks:

fermins44.jpg

2 dogs

Buckeye
Here is one done especially for John Taffin by Harton. This one was written up in American Handgunner. Of course it has ALL the bells and whistles, note the #5 style latch:

taffins44.jpg

2 dogs

Buckeye
So, welcome to the forum. The bottom line is that you can build a rock solid sixgun on any platform you so choose.

DGW1949

Hunter
jerry475":1fzbtgm9 said:
Hello all, I am new to the forum and I am looking to for direction from all of your experience. I am going to have a custom .44 special built using a .357 blackhawk "medium" frame. I am going to use this because I would like to have the cylinder line bored. My question is which is th best frame to use, a new 50th anaversery flat top or start with the old model 3 screw blackhawk (non flattop)? I will have a Power #5 grip frame and a custom barrel, any advice or watchouts would be appreciated.

Aside from the frame size being simular, there's a lot of differences in a 50th and an OM XR3-Red gun. The answer to which of the two to use will depend on which action type you prefer, how you want it to look, and what you're going to do with it after it's finished. Only you know the answers to them questions.

The only "advice or watchouts" that I got is;

The time to line-bore a cylinder is BEFORE it has been finished. So no matter which gun you start with, the cylinder is probably going to get replaced by whoever does the custom work on your gun.

Unless modified by someone who knows their stuff, the 50th 2-pin action WILL scar-up your shiney new cylinder if you put the gun to much use. You might think that looks a bit tacky on a custom gun.

If you do decide on an OM, don't start with the cheapest one you can find. Replacing worn parts and addressing end-shake or other mechanical issues can quickly over-run the price difference between an old beater and one in sound condition.

Welcome to the Forum.
Hope something I said helps.
Whenever you get it done....WE WANT PICTURES. :D .

DGW

Zeus

Blackhawk
I REALLY like that holster rig 2 dogs :)

How bout you bring those sixguns up and we'll get some more pictures of them, I think they would look better in KS lighting ;)

Lee Martin

Hunter
I just built one on a 1962 OM 357:

44_Special_117.jpg

Even doing all the work myself, I have over $800 in it:

Base gun = $325
Barrel Blank = $100
Grips = $180
Hard-Chroming = $150
Bowen Rear Sight = $80
#5 Basepin = $25

If you're looking for a plain shooter, the Lipsey Model for a few hundred less is quite a deal. From what I've read, they shoot fine right out of the box so there's no need to rebarrel it. Maybe just buy one and add a #5 gripframe. If you're looking for something uniquely yours though, the custom route is hard to beat.

Bring the flames on but I've owned New Lipseys 44 Specials in both barrel lengths and both got sold before I shot them. Great finish, tight lock-up etc. but they were like everyone elses. I've always liked the custom route just becasue when it is done, it is yours, built the way you want it without compromising. will it outshoot one of the new 44 Specials? Maybe, maybe not but it sure won't look like one. Here is my current OM 357 conversion to 44 Special.
Spence-6Guns017-1.jpg

2 dogs

Buckeye
As posted earlier, a properly tuned NM will mark the cylinder where the bolt drags. A properly tuned OM will not, if properly handled.

Grip frame options are many many many......and some more....as are stocks and barrels!

oh well, this one is built on a later old model frame, gun has a 30 prefix in the serial and the work was done years ago, by Vans Custom Guns over here in Sandusky,Ohio.........

44spec.jpg

still going strong, but now lives over here in Bowling Green,Oh......

jerry475

Bearcat
Thanks to everyone, I knew I was in the right spot. The pictures of the pistols are great. I will go the custom route, I am new to the 44 special but not to the custom single actions, my Bowen .475, Freedom Arms 454 and 45LC do get shot and hunted but I am over the magnum-itus.
I do have the new Ruger 44special and that is how I discovered this great enjoyable to shoot cartidge. I do like and appreciate the custom single action and there seem to more options with the 44 special. I will keep posting as I look for a OM blackhawk and get the parts together. Jerry

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I fully understand everyone's enthusiasm for a truly custom built .44 Special.

I was so thrilled that Ruger finally came out with the gun Skeeter said they should make that I just had to get one of the Lipsey's Blackhawks. Now this .44 Special is a standard item in the 2010 catalog. Sure, it has the modern transfer bar, but a set of $14 Wolff Springs lightens the action and trigger and can be done by the gun's owner.

My Blackhawk shoots amazingly well with .430 bullets, right from the factory. I spent my money on engraving by Michael Gouse, birdseye maple handles by Cary C, and a border stamped Threepersons holster from El Paso Saddlery.

So now my factory Ruger is sort of customized, not as much as some of the super custom guns, but it shoots great and cost a lot less.

Skeeter001.jpg

Skeeter002.jpg

Skeeter003.jpg

Skeeter004.jpg

Skeeter005.jpg

Skeeter007.jpg

Skeeter009.jpg

Skeeter008.jpg

Skeeter013.jpg

Latest posts