Looking to dress up my new Ruger MKIII Hunter, (Long Barrel)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Merovingian

Bearcat
Hello, new to the forum and my first post.

After a long quest and lots of drama, I just purchased a NIB Ruger MKIII Hunter from Wal-Mart. (Long story why I actually caved in and bought a gun at walmart, short version is it was 'in stock' and almost $100 cheaper than any other place I went)

This is my first 'lifetime' firearm, or rather the first firearm I foresee myself owning the rest of my life without question. I am looking to dress it up a little bit, just to add a bit of durability as well as still have it look a bit more unique.

The main purpose of this pistol is 'emergency preparedness' and a camping pistol -- so small game hunting and VERY light self defense. I have some LocTite on the way from Amazon to secure the scope mount properly.

Things I would like to do:

#1: New Grips, I Do like the wood grips that came with the pistol but everyone has them, and wood wears down is easily broken and such, so I am looking heavily at the metal grips on the Ruger website either the OD Green or the Electric Blue.

If I went for blue I would want to change out the HiViz peg for a blue one to match, because I AM that OCD about color balancing and symetry... the green and the yellow/green peg I could deal with I think.

I have also seen red metal grips in pictures of competition ruger mkIII's and I am sure there are many other colors, but other than the Ruger Website Im not sure where I should be looking.

#2: Trigger, I know its prob gonna get a laugh but can I find factory style triggers in various colors? Gold, Silver, Green, Red or blue to match the grips?

#3: HiViz Pegs, Paying $38 for 6 more HiViz pegs seems VERY outrageous, is there a generic brand or something else that can be used in that peg slot that doesn't cost so much? Also do those pegs really only come in 2 colors? Red/Green?

4: Holster, I know that once I put the scope mount and a scope on it its not gonna fit in any sort of holster, but I thought I would check to see how people carry scoped pistols? Some sort of padded sling for chest carry? Any options on this front would be appreciated.

I realize that all of this is totally superficial (other than switching to metal grips from wood for durability)... I may end up springing for the accurizing(sp?) package one day, however for now Im going to stick with the factory configuration for now till I learn the ends and outs of it.... but just the same any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
You have an excellent gun in the Hunter. I have a MKII slabside that's very similar.
Customizing. It can enhance things, personalize a gun etc,,, but as soon as you permanently modify the gun, it can detract from resale value. Now I know you want to keep it for a lifetime,,,, so that's good. Just keep any parts you remove with the gun and make sure they don't get lost. (Put them in the original box with a note about keeping everything together with the gun if something were to happen to you & your estate tried to sell the gun.)
Now on to other questions.
(1) Wood looks a lot better than most metal grips,,,, but it's your customization,,, go for it. Google a search to see what pops up. I haven't entertained any changes since I added Crimson Trace laser grips to mine.
(2) I have not seen any colored triggers,,, but that's not to say it can't be done.
(3)Hi-Viz. The $38 should be for a complete set of litepipes AND a front sight base. As for any others working etc,,,, nope. Hi-Viz is a unique shape & no one copies it. Yes, only 2 colors usually,,,, but there has been some experimenting with yellow for colorblind folks. 2 colors and 3 sizes.
(4) There are a few holsters for scoped Ruger 22 semi's. I do believe Uncle Mikes makes one,,,!

Now, you might want to spend customizing $$$$ on action parts etc. That can help the performance some,,,, according to others. I've never needed to replace the trigger or extractor. I did add an oversized bolt release though,,,!
I hope this helps a little.

hpman66

Hunter
Merovingian":17nfrwy4 said:
Hello, new to the forum and my first post.

After a long quest and lots of drama, I just purchased a NIB Ruger MKIII Hunter from Wal-Mart. (Long story why I actually caved in and bought a gun at walmart, short version is it was 'in stock' and almost $100 cheaper than any other place I went)....

Thank you.

You have a Wal-Mart that still sells handguns? I thought selling handguns at Wally World had been a big No-No for a long time. Where in the world is this Wal-Mart located?