Looking into a M77 Mark ii 338

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cleric

Bearcat
Evening from AK,

I am looking seriously at a M77 Mark ii in 338 win mag. Looking for a good brush and moose gun and this caught my eye. Stainless and laminate materials... Seller claims on 30 rounds through it. Quality peep sight, rings, no scope. Mag-na-brake installed.

Was wondering if anyone has an opinion to offer on a rig such as that. Looking to get it at around $600.

Thanks!

Hi That would be a little steep around here for a 338 but not many need a 338 around here and are you sure you want a brake on it ? In a hunting situation you wont feel the recoil but you will punish your ears plenty :lol: :lol:

Gramps

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I agree with gramps. Doubt you'd get hurt on the deal at $600 since it's a sporter model. $550 would be more like it if you can get into it for that.

Cleric

Bearcat
Thank you guys. I was looking on gunbroker and others and came to the same conclusion. Even with Alaska prices (which are always more), I think it better be a ringer at $600 or I'll pass.

The brake is an interesting issue. I'd love to have it for the range. And, since it is removable, I can pull it for hunting.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
338's come with a 24" barrel if the brake was added on top of that you have a long(er) tube. Not what I would consider a brush gun. Altering it for a brake devalues it for me. If it's exactly what you want that's one thing. If you plan on making it more of a brush gun by cutting down the barrel anyway it won't matter. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the brake. $600 is a little high for me for one that hasn't been altered. If you do use a brake at the range and remove it for hunting i would definitely confirm my zero before hunting. Price a new Ruger Guide Gun. It's the only 338 currently available with a laminate stock. It has a factory brake, 20" barrel, and iron sights.

Cleric

Bearcat
Sam - Thanks for the additional insight and thoughts.

Since it is now sitting next to me at home, I can fill you in a bit more:
The original owner, whom I purchased the M77 from, had all the work done to turn this stainless/laminate into a brush and bear gun. The barrel has been reduced down to approx. 20" w/o the brake. The brake adds around 2" to the equation. So, at the range, a 22" barrel... in the field a 20" barrel.

Overall condition is 90% or better. His claim that it has about 30 rounds through it appears to be true. The bolt hardly looks used.

So, what I ended up with at $600 is a 338 "Guide Gun" for about half of current MRSP for the genuine article. I'm sure there are some differences that would make up for some of that differential in price, but, overall, it was an inexpensive way for me to add a little brush gun to the inventory.

Cleric

Bearcat
Did a little more searching on the current Guide Gun prices... looks like around $875 if I could find one locally.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Sounds like you got what you wanted. I think the laminate stock is a much better choice than a synthetic for an all weather rifle, especially one with significant recoil. Is your stock checkered? I'd like to see what it has for a front sight. Is your peep mounted in the Ruger dovetail? I would consider a fixed 4x or low power variable as an addition. The 338 has plenty of reach, more than my eyes can use with a peep sight, especially in low light situations. I have a 308 RSI set up with a peep and keep a Weaver 4x in mounted in rings and zeroed. Easy to pack and easy to swap in the field. Btw, it took more than 30 rounds for my 338 to settle down.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Sounds more intriguing as a 20".
I handled a 22" Hawkeye 338 Federal yesterday tagged @ 500. Dull stainless and walnut, 99% and never used - rings, tags and paperwork but lost box, etc.
One more to load for if I get it, but I look at it as a potential frontier rifle-type clone with a bobbed & crowned barrel. Is that so wrong?
IMO $500 is a good deal on these guns in actual as-new condition.