Looking for versatile 44 Spl/45Colt powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I already use Unique, Trailboss and H110 (45 C only). What is a versatile powder that might add something to my reloading for 44 spl and 45 C (I also reload 357, 38s and 44 Mags). I am considering H4227 and HS6, but am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

TULLYMARS

Single-Sixer
I like to keep my powder selection pretty simple. The ones you already use will handle most any power range in those calibers. The only one I might add is Titegroup. It seems to work great for low to mid-range loads, and is not position sensitive in the larger cases such as the .45 colt.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
TULLYMARS":2p562w5z said:
I like to keep my powder selection pretty simple. The ones you already use will handle most any power range in those calibers. The only one I might add is Titegroup. It seems to work great for low to mid-range loads, and is not position sensitive in the larger cases such as the .45 colt.

+1 on Titegroup. I use it for mild 45 Colt loads, but I haven't tried it yet in 44 Spl.

8emem

Bearcat
+1 for HS6, an excellent mid-range powder for the calibers mentioned. I would also add AA#5 and Herco to the list, also great for mid-range big-bore loads.

Rclark

Hunter
I use Trail Boss, Unique, and 2400 for all my loading needs. Haven't had any reason to try anything else in revolvers..... I find a load and stick with it..... I am 'considering' trying some H4227 just for kicks as Taffin likes this powder for certain loads.

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
231 and WST have given me good results in light loads for both. Try 231 first, and it will work in all those other pistol cartridges you load for.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Although I had some pretty good results with HS6, I've got to agree with RUFFBIRD. Universal. I've never used it in .44 Sp (aint got one) but in my opinion it is the very best powder for lighter loads in .44 magnum and works right well in .45 Colt too. :)

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I know it's been said a couple of times already but I'm going to add another vote for Trail Boss powder for general usage.

If you plan to hunt with your revolvers then you may want to try something else, though. The Trail Boss is fairly mild (which is one of the reasons why I like it).

32magfan

Blackhawk
+1 on the Titegroup. Very clean burning. Red Dot can be useful as well but not quite as clean burning. Unique and Universal are good for medium to lower end of stouter loads.

You didn't specify whether you shoot cast or jacketed bullets. If cast is used, I highly recommend CLAYS. Very clean and low charge weights on mild to medium level loads = economy $$. Very consistent over the chronograph as well.

Thanks,

32Magfan

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I use Trailboss for low powered loads and WW296 for top loads in both 44SP and 45 Colt (when shooting Rugers!).

HS6 is an excellent powder to add for mid range loads.

My general go to powder for everyday & midrange loads with hardcast bullets(~950fps/240gr in 44SP, and 980fps/255gr in 45C), and which produces some of my best accuracy, is WSF. Its fine grain size makes it meter exceptionally well, it burns clean, and maintains accuracy through hundreds of rounds because it doesn't cause leading when pushing hard cast bullets to around 1000fps. The other good thing about it is that when everyone has bought up all the Unique, 231 or other classic pistol powders in your area, you can still find 8# jugs of it! And, like Titegroup, also another good midrange cast bullet powder for those cartridges, it is not position sensitive at all. These are self developed loads I have been using for about 15 years now, and WSF is suited for the advanced handloader to develop loads; you won't find manufacturer published data for them because they concentrate more on their handgun specific product powders. However, if you call them you can get info.

I've decided I really don't like Unique as much as I once did, especially for cast bullets. It works OK for swaged bullets at low velocity, but I have had too many issues with it leading with really hard cast bullets and inconsistent charge weights because of its metering quirks, leading to poor grouping, so have abandoned it for general use. I do use it for some very specific jacketed bullet applications but find newer powders superior. Unique was once a great powder and still is for many purposes, but there are better choices out there now.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

When I am not stuffing 45 Colts with FFg my favorite Smokeless powder is still Unique. For light loads in 44 Special I am using Clays. I have also fooled around with American Select a little bit in 44 Special.

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
Try Power Pistol. It works great in both calibers. Burns a little quicker than Unique and a lot cleaner. I use 8 grains in the .44 special and 8.5-9.0 in .45 Colt. Excellent accuracy.