Looking for recommendations on a Ruger revolver..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dach Savage

Bearcat
I am attending a gun show in OC AZ this Sat and taking an older couple of friends that I have been teaching about the hobby. My gentleman friend is a sharp older fellow and has decided he wants to add a .357 revolver to his self defense collection. I have suggested a 6 shot Ruger in stainless as a sweetspot between quality, value and ease of maintenance + he can practice with it using .38s. He is 75, not a hunter and will target practice with me at the range enough to become proficient. I don't think he is interested in concealed carry unless necessary. I am thinking something in the 4 - 6 " range preferably with adjustable sights. So do y'all have any recommendations for what Ruger Revolver to look for? Newer model, older model etc. I have been out of the business for a long time and not familiar with what is out there. Thanks Dach.

contender

Ruger Guru
Have him handle & get a feel for as many options as possible. The SP-101 is a 5 shot,, and smaller. More recoil than others, but very manageable.
The Ruger GP-100 is a very good, solid & capable all around model. It's a 6 shot, and has various barrel lengths.
The older Security-Six DA revolver is still a top selection to many.
The LCR is a smaller, pocket sized .38 or in .357. But most feel the recoil is too much for extended shooting.

But do not overlook the Blackhawk line either. While they are a Single-Action type,, they are still top choices for utility.

But for gosh sakes,, make sure he tries as many as possible,, AND realizes that a swap of grips can make a gun feel better or worse. But it should fit & feel good in HIS hands.

First (2) choices in my opinion would be either the double-action GP-100 or the single-action Blackhawk. Both can be found in stainless and with adjustable sights.

Dach Savage

Bearcat
I appreciate the recommendations especially about getting him to handle as many as I can. That is why I am taking him and his wife to the Queen Creek CRW show. He doesn't not want a single action so the others are going to be top of the list. Regards, Dach.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, since the SA is out.. Look first for the GP-100 & a Security-Six series.

BUT,,,,,,, Also look at grip makers & such.
Ruger has a factory grip on the Match Champion that is very comfortable to many. Hogue, Pachmyer both offer different grips to try.
Even w/o a gun the grips can allow a certain feel.

Dach Savage

Bearcat
My first choice would be Security Six. Would settle for a GP100 if none of the Six Series are available.
You could also put a WTB ad in the Classified Section here too.
I might do the WTB once we figure out what revolver he likes. Only thing about that is that I really prefer transacting (buying or selling) FTF in person. The FFLs around here are kinda a "special" breed when you are not buying the gun from them. I don't mind paying a fee for service, incoming or outgoing but AFAIK its pretty much free money and a way to build a customer and I don't need an attitude like they are doing me a favor just to deal with me. Since I surrendered my FFL years ago I have had a buddy with a pawnshop ship and receive guns for me. IIRC he used to charge me like $ 35 bucks + costs and was grateful for the easy money. He retired and closed his shop so I tried dealing with his neighbor and didn't care for the way I was treated; he actually asked why I just didn't buy the gun from him or let him order it for me. I asked to see the S&W 25-5's he had in stock or could order. Crickets. I heard crickets. On the way out of the shop I did buy 2 other firearms he was too ignorant to value properly and made good $$ on them (once its in your blood and all) and now when in the area I just stop by to see what else he is giving away. Dach.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
A 4" GP100 is about as good as it gets, especially if you can find a '90s vintage. Strong as a tank, reliable, and more accurate than 99% of shooters can hold. The 4" barrel help keep the weight down and back towards the hand. A spring kit and a "toothpaste trigger job" makes for a trigger that will please even picky shooters.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I will provide an amen to the Security Six & GP-100 options. I also have the SP101 and Service Six model Ruger revolvers in addition to the two mentioned above. Never did locate a Speed Six when I had spare gun money though.

...another vote for the 4" stainless GP100...all one needs and nothing you don't.

6" nice for target shooting or hunting but unnecessary for carry/home defense.

Change out the front sight to a green FO or tritium night sight and you are done.

The DA on the SP101 is about as bad as it gets...

Bob

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I am attending a gun show in OC AZ this Sat and taking an older couple of friends that I have been teaching about the hobby. My gentleman friend is a sharp older fellow and has decided he wants to add a .357 revolver to his self defense collection. I have suggested a 6 shot Ruger in stainless as a sweetspot between quality, value and ease of maintenance + he can practice with it using .38s. He is 75, not a hunter and will target practice with me at the range enough to become proficient. I don't think he is interested in concealed carry unless necessary. I am thinking something in the 4 - 6 " range preferably with adjustable sights. So do y'all have any recommendations for what Ruger Revolver to look for? Newer model, older model etc. I have been out of the business for a long time and not familiar with what is out there. Thanks Dach.
I am a very long time owner of Ruger revolvers. I have two Blackhawks, which are both single action, which you said he did not want. I also own a Ruger GP100, which is just as robust as the Blackhawks. Mine is a 6" barrel version, but it also comes in a 4.2" barrel version. If he shoots only or mainly .38 special, the 4.2" version should be fine, but if he shoots .357 Mag's at all, then I would recommend the 6" version. The .357 mag round can have quite a kick, depending on what type of round he uses.

I have used a local FFL that is in Chandler, AZ, and they were great. I order the gun from online - Gun Broker, so I do not have first hand experience on how you use an FFL if you buy a gun locally at a gun show. Also, their fee is only $15. Here is the name and phone number of mine:

CHANDLER TACTICAL FIREARMS LLC
590 NORTH ALMA SCHOOL STE 30, CHANDLER AZ, 85224
Phone: (480) 219-5831

I am also 76 years old, and I go shooting at the outdoor range at
Rio Salado Sportsman's Club, Inc.
3960 N. Usery Pass Road Mesa, AZ 85207
Phone (480) 984-9610

This place is great AND super safe. They have about 25 stations, and you must wear eye and ear protection, and watch a 10 min video on their safety rules if you are new. There is NO time limit, and I usually spend about 2 hours shooting each time I go there.

If you or your friend are interested in finding and buying ammo at the best prices available. I have an ammo file that covers 35 handgun calibers and 25 rifle ones, with over 3,500 entries, where each entry has the ballistics of that ammo, and an online link as to where you can order that ammo. I list 224 .357 Mag entries, and 162 .38 Spec ones, all with links to buy that ammo online. There are no restrictions on ordering any ammo online if you live in AZ. If interested, just message me. I will send you this file via email, or show you where to get it online from my webpage. I send out this free file in PDF format, so anyone can read it and use it, but it is a bit too big to view with just a cell phone.

Dach Savage

Bearcat
A 4" GP100 is about as good as it gets, especially if you can find a '90s vintage. Strong as a tank, reliable, and more accurate than 99% of shooters can hold. The 4" barrel help keep the weight down and back towards the hand. A spring kit and a "toothpaste trigger job" makes for a trigger that will please even picky shooters.
Thanks, I have always thought well of the GP 100 but never knew what years were the better ones. Will have my head on a swivel for this one. Dach.
I am a very long time owner of Ruger revolvers. I have two Blackhawks, which are both single action, which you said he did not want. I also own a Ruger GP100, which is just as robust as the Blackhawks. Mine is a 6" barrel version, but it also comes in a 4.2" barrel version. If he shoots only or mainly .38 special, the 4.2" version should be fine, but if he shoots .357 Mag's at all, then I would recommend the 6" version. The .357 mag round can have quite a kick, depending on what type of round he uses.

I have used a local FFL that is in Chandler, AZ, and they were great. I order the gun from online - Gun Broker, so I do not have first hand experience on how you use an FFL if you buy a gun locally at a gun show. Also, their fee is only $15. Here is the name and phone number of mine:

CHANDLER TACTICAL FIREARMS LLC
590 NORTH ALMA SCHOOL STE 30, CHANDLER AZ, 85224
Phone: (480) 219-5831

I am also 76 years old, and I go shooting at the outdoor range at
Rio Salado Sportsman's Club, Inc.
3960 N. Usery Pass Road Mesa, AZ 85207
Phone (480) 984-9610

This place is great AND super safe. They have about 25 stations, and you must wear eye and ear protection, and watch a 10 min video on their safety rules if you are new. There is NO time limit, and I usually spend about 2 hours shooting each time I go there.

If you or your friend are interested in finding and buying ammo at the best prices available. I have an ammo file that covers 35 handgun calibers and 25 rifle ones, with over 3,500 entries, where each entry has the ballistics of that ammo, and an online link as to where you can order that ammo. I list 224 .357 Mag entries, and 162 .38 Spec ones, all with links to buy that ammo online. There are no restrictions on ordering any ammo online if you live in AZ. If interested, just message me. I will send you this file via email, or show you where to get it online from my webpage. I send out this free file in PDF format, so anyone can read it and use it, but it is a bit too big to view with just a cell phone.
Thanks for the recommendations and info. I will give CTF a call if I need an FFL contact, Chandler is a bit of a fur piece tho lol. I am in Cave Creek, just a few miles from Ben Avery. Been shooting there for a very long time. If you get a chance the Crossroads show in Queen Creek this weekend looks to be interesting. Dach

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Dach, I just may go to that gun show. It's entrence fee is just $14, so I can afford wondering around for that amount. I am looking for a Ruger Redhawk .45 Cal (they shoot .45 ACP as well with moon clips), but I doubt I would actually buy it there if I find one. Also, would you like to meet there? If so, message me and I will give you my cell number. It is about a 30 min drive from my home. I use to live in Gilbert, just a bit north of Queen Creek Rd, just east of Higley. My wife use to work at the airport there, so her drive was just 5-10 minutes back then.

Hankus

Single-Sixer
Dach, I just may go to that gun show. It's entrence fee is just $14, so I can afford wondering around for that amount. I am looking for a Ruger Redhawk .45 Cal (they shoot .45 ACP as well with moon clips), but I doubt I would actually buy it there if I find one. Also, would you like to meet there? If so, message me and I will give you my cell number. It is about a 30 min drive from my home. I use to live in Gilbert, just a bit north of Queen Creek Rd, just east of Higley. My wife use to work at the airport there, so her drive was just 5-10 minutes back then.
If you run across a 5032 or 5050 in .45LC/.45ACP I would be interested in details. I have an itch for one, just haven't seen one locally and they're going for high dollars on GB.

Dach, good information above, also may add, if he's still around there my friend Mike R., over in Gilbert,Az., I believe, he was 'AZ. Arms sales'...used to set up at all the gun shows out there,,,he bailed ship here in OHio, way back., and we knew MIke from the Medina ,OHio gun shows and he used to be able to get about ANYTHING Ruger...Good luck and tell him Dan said hello............ ;) (y)

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
The 4" stainless GP100 is a solid all-arounder. If it's too big, the 4" SP101 is a solid choice.

Also the 3" fixed sight, is still in production as well as the 2.5" adjustable sight model.

I'd stay with a GP because there is no support from Ruger for the Six series and I can't blame them, they are all 35+ years old now.

ISMI springs have donr wonders for all of the GP's I put them in and they pop every primer.

I have a 1986 vintage GP100 , as well as many from the 2000's and 2010's and the 1986 model just feels fitted a little better.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
True there's no factory support for the Six-series guns. But parts are readily available. Besides I have never broken a single one. And I do shoot my loads pretty warm

I love my Security Six series revolvers (Security Six, Police Service Six and Speed Six) - in both blued and stainless. I collect them and display them at the gun shows that ROCS gets invited to. I also refurbish them when needed (I love restoring a gun that others think is past being over the hill.)

I also have a pretty good collection of GP100's, again in blue and stainless (18 at last cout). All that said:

If I was FORCED to have ONLY ONE double action handgun for the rest of my life, it would be a (drum roll please :D )....5 inch stainless GP-100 .357 Magnum. In MY Opinion - The 5" balances perfectly for me, easy to carry (abet probably not for inside the waist band concealed), is strong as an ox (like all Ruger revolvers), can shoot .357 Mag, .38 Spl. .38 S&W and seems to me to be a great meld between the 4" and 6". Runner up though would be a 4", stainless, heavy barrel .357 Mag Security Six.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Great choice, the Ruger GP100, but I do not think that there is a 5" version. I can only find a 4.2" or a 6" ,357 Mag version, which I own! But I cannot find any 5" .357 Mag GP100.