Looking for recommendations on a Ruger revolver..

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Oh yeah, there are some 5 inch GPs, and Service Six's too.
And 3 inch Speed Six's even though 99 percent are 2.75 inch.

Yes, actually Ruger made 5 inch versions in both Blued and Stainless Steel, I have one of each in my collection. The stainless was shipped in 2008 and the blued was shipped in 2016. IIRC, these were special distributor models for Davidsons. There was also a 5" FIXED SIGHT model made for Davidsons but haven't been able to track one down yet to get more who, what, where, when, why information about them.

Last edited:
RoninPA is correct about the 5" GP 100's being made, Lipsey's has a line of exclusive, half-lug, 5" barreled GP100's in 327 Fed Mag, 357 Mag & 44 Special that are just beautiful…i have been trying to get my hands on the 357 Mag version for a few years without any success!

Also, RugerGuy is right on about Arizona Arms Sales, LLC in Gilbert, AZ…Mike Reber used to be a member here (Acrylictnk) and provide the members with special forum pricing on all kinds of Rugers but he has not been active since he had uses with the old software and couldn't log on any longer.

I reached out to him to try to get him to return, but I think the experience of not being able to get his account fixed left him cold….I wish he would return….always free, fast shipping and very easy to work with. You can check him out on Gunbroker under the name, Acrylictnk.

Good luck….

I like LCR's a lot. But for someone a little older I lean personally toward the SP 101, with Hogue grips. It's a little heavier and more controllable. It's certainly concealable.
Having said that, if he's not going to be carrying concealed, maybe just having it around the house, it's tough to beat a Ruger Security Six 4".

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I love my Service Six 4". Even with the tiny fixed sights I can still keep six shots on a standard index card at 50 yards. Sweetest factory trigger I own on any double action.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I'm about to buy what would probably, to me , be the ultimate "do all" wheelgun. Which is a 9mm SP101

It will become a regular range shooter, carry piece and may replace my .38 SP101 as the "snubby" in my carry rotation since 9mm +P defensive ammo isn't much different as far as performance vs .38 +P , and if you want to go warm to 9mm + P++ Hirtenberger levels the gun can easily handle it

Plus in today's market 9mm is easy to find and affordable

The 9mm and my .38 SP101 will basically be a 2 gun "convertible " set

The SP101 is more or less a small GP100, if I really had to choose one I'd keep my SP. It points perfectly , the panel grips are "just right" and it's concealable. The -1 round doesn't bother me. I can shoot it as well as my GP100s.