Looking for opinions on where this S&W 29-2 came from

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
I recently traded into this 1980-ish 6” 29-2. It’s a nice gun in a nice case that had been Magnaported at some point in its life. When I met the seller to do the trade, I mentioned that it was a shame about the Magnaporting - from an originality standpoint. He said that this gun and case were all factory. I just said ok and did the deal. My thinking was that the case didn’t look like a factory case and that S&W didn’t offer Magnaported guns. If anything, maybe it was a Magnaport Special Edition gun. I thought I’d see if anybody here recognized this package as coming from a particular company or person. Not really important, but just a curiosity.

Toyman

Single-Sixer
S&W used blue inside of cases and did not put locks on the case.
GCD6tlI.jpg

Es6rwf8.jpg

RBHrszh.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
I resized your original pics, and I see Toyman resized a few, too.

I don't see it as a factory original, but I'm no expert. I want to be clear that I'm not nit picking the gun as it looks like a great shooter.

Things that are different that would seem not original:

1) A side plate screw is incorrect
2) Porting
3) White Lettering
4) Box

Now, go and shoot it :)

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
I bet if I look under the grip, I’ll see that those two sideplate screws were switched.

I didn’t think this was a factory package. I was hoping it rang a bell with someone who’s memory banks hearken back to the 80’s

hittman

Staff member
14yfMazh.png

This S&W in factory issued display box is about the same age as your 29. This 66-1 is from 1981.

The lid on this box has the MSHP logo etched on it.

It's likely a SCSW will verify the date of your gun by serial number and maybe even let you know if a number of guns from that era went directly to Magna Port. Of course you could always pay S&W $100.00 :roll: or so for the factory verification letter.

Always buy the books!

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
I’ve got SCSW, 4th Edition. That’s how I knew 1980-ish. I haven’t found any info to make me think S&W had anything to do with the porting. I was mainly thinking that the case or the lock or even the end label might remind someone of a case they’ve had sitting on a shelf for the last few decades.

SWR

Single-Sixer
Post on Smith & Wesson Collectors forum. No doubt you will get an answer with all the info

http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Nice gun, , yes, the proper screw is most likely UNDER the right grip panel ( stock)they get switched around ALL the time, the "flat" screw head goes UNDER the grips, the round heads ,out in the open. The porting appears to be "Mag--Na-Port", is it actually a 6 inch " or is it 6 1/2"??? the cases are after market...did I say NICE gun?? 8) :roll: :wink:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The wood case definitely does not look S&W original. But I'd not turn it down, as I have this thing about wood boxes for use in my shop!

Bob Wright

jgt

Blackhawk
I can't tell if it is an optical illusion or the screw is actually the flat head one. If it is the flat head one it belongs under the stock. Smith & Wesson did not offer magna porting as a factory option so that is after market. Smith & Wesson put 6 & 1/2"barrels on the 29-2. Smith & Wesson did not label their wooden boxes as they shipped in a cardboard box with the label on it. Smith & Wesson did not put white paint in their roll marks, that was also aftermarket or even home applied on some kitchen table. Like has been mentioned above the 29-2 was shipped in a form fitted box with a blue background and the tool/cleaning kit was not in a package, but in its compartment formed for it. The latch had no lock. The blue flocking on the form turned into mush and if guns were left unattended for two long would damage the finish. I replaced mine with blue velvet but it is not considered to be authentic by collectors.

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the comments. The sideplate screws had been switched around. 3 1982 was stamped inside the grip. I guess the gun was made around 3/82. It is a 6” barrel. I’ll scrub the white filler out of the roll marks. It was, apparently, somebody’s pet revolver. I’ll take care of it until my boy gets it. Maybe he’ll hang onto it.

Several mentioned that S&W cases don’t have locks. I agree that the case with this gun isn’t from S&W, but the case that it’s sitting on in one of the pictures in the original post is a genuine S&W case that came with the Carpenter Technologies 100th Anniversary 629-3. It appears to have locks on the latches. Im probably misunderstanding something

bogus bill

Hunter
I bought this model 66-3 3" Lew Horton one of 300 with all the bells and whistles about 1998. It came magnaported. I have owned at least 50 Smiths, this is my favorite. I seen just one more like it.
https://postimg.cc/qzJXLzmq

jgt

Blackhawk
The gun pictured looks like a six and a half inch barrel, are you sure you measured correctly? If it is a six inch, it would have most likely been changed later. By a gunsmith or by the factory. If by the factory, there would be a star stamped on the gripframe and maybe the date. It would be worth looking to be sure. 1983 was very late into the 29-2 production run so with gun companies it is a "never say never" situation. I am not enough of an expert to say it is chiseled in stone. But I owned and shot many of them during that time period.

jgt

Blackhawk
I would not say you are wrong, but 79 seems a little early for the change to six inch. I was never a collector just a shooter that owned a lot of them. Those look more like Leer Siegler markings than Bangor Punta. That is a very interesting gun. It is pinned, is it also recessed?

jgt

Blackhawk
Thanks! I had been thinking the change to 6" came about on the 29-3 when they quit pinning and recessing after Leer Siegler bought the company. The only gun I have that is of the later time period is a 29-6. It is not pinned or recessed but has the upgrades and is a Classic DX with a 6 1/2" barrel, interchangeable front sights, and a round butt.

Latest posts