Looking for new Semi-auto... Recommendations?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Looking for a good polymer-frame full-size decent capacity handgun. I've gone through 3 Glocks, a 17, a 23, and a 26. Don't care for how the grip feels at all.

I Got a Kahr 9mm to replace the Glock 26 as my main carry gun. Its a single stack and carries A LOT better for me. I also like the grip angle a lot better.

Looking for a gun to replace the 17 and 23.

I have a Ruger P89 for sale/trade, its accuracy is sub-par and I have had some trouble with the grip panel on the left side of the gun not wanting to stay on.

For a while I have been debating weather to get a Ruger P95 or a Ruger SR9

I have not seen a P95 for less than $380.00 and an SR9 for less than $420.00, now with that said, Ruger used to have an advantage in their reasonable price department, AND are definately a good gun, for the money. But I can get competitive pricing on a different models that rival the price of the SR9 (The gun I was finally going to decide on)

OK. I guess my main issue is, I cant find a P95 at a reasonable price, and the SR9 has way too many issues for me to even consider at this point.

$420-$499 isn't unreasonable for me. I just want that money to go toward a gun that fits my hand and doesn't have "peening" issues.

Any recommendations?

rrent

Bearcat
Smith & Wesson M&P --good shooter for a few extra bucks get the 9mm Pro--great trigger

Springfield XD imported from Croatia --for a few extra bucks get the XDm accurate as the day is long and 19 rounds of 9mm fun

those are probably my favorite non-Ruger non-Glock plastic fantastic 9mm's.

there is always Sig and H&K ---some would argue they are worth the extra bucks --some probably are.....

I picked up a STI GP6-- imported from Slovakia (at least the frame) --shortest reset trigger of them all including a special edition Sig Blackwater Tactical

check the STI out here:
http://www.stiguns.com/guns/GP6C/GP6C.html

good luck

aaronrb204

Bearcat
What are you looking for other than feel? Do you want single action, DA/SA, striker or hammer fired, single or double stack, polymer or metal? The questions could go on for a while.

That said, I have a CZ-75 compact that I love. It is a bit heavy being all steel. It is essentially a single action with DA abilities. Finding one in your price range will be tough but maybe a used one.

"fk"

Bearcat
Get a P230 .380 with 100gr Buffalo Bore bullets. Get around 300ft lbs at muzzle (which is in 9MM x 19 territory) one of the finest straight shooting guns you will ever own. 3.6" barrel easy to conceal and will put something down first round. Don't forget the Hogue grips they take all the sting out.

"fk"

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
My 1ST choice would be a CZ75 B or one of their compact like the CZ 75P-01 , their metal frames! The Springfield XD 9 is pretty good gun also. There is a lot of custom parts available for the CZ right from the factory. Do take the time to check them out!

aaronrb204":jyoj4n18 said:
What are you looking for other than feel? Do you want single action, DA/SA, striker or hammer fired, single or double stack, polymer or metal? The questions could go on for a while.

That said, I have a CZ-75 compact that I love. It is a bit heavy being all steel. It is essentially a single action with DA abilities. Finding one in your price range will be tough but maybe a used one.

"Looking for a good polymer-frame full-size decent capacity handgun."
Double stack for the capacity. Hammer or striker fired, I'm not picky.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
I have both the SR-9 and the S&W M&P. Personally, I like my M&P better. Better trigger, better accuracy, better reliability.

recoilguy

Bearcat
The CZ P-01 is aluminum frame light weight high cap gun that is hammer fire and a real beauty. Look at one and hold it before you say no to it. You will not be disappointed that you did. It is only .8oz heavier then the SR9 Poly model semi.

I own the P-01 and love it I also carry a Kahr every day and could not be happier with it. I own a couple SR9s and various other guns. The P-01 is a great gun. The SR9 issues you refer to are in my opinion gun noise. issues blown out of proportion by the talking heads. The happy owners and those who have never had a problem far out weigh the others.

Good luck in your search, There are a ton of very good poly hi cap pistols out there.........XDM....24/7........19..........SR9.........M&P........Baby Eagle.........FNP.........EAA Witness. Hold em shot em if you can pick your favorite. Then have fun, be safe and remember its not what you shot it's that you shot!!!!

RCG

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger":234mdum6 said:
Looking for a good polymer-frame full-size decent capacity handgun. .....

I have not seen a P95 for less than $380.00 .....

We have forum members offering NIB P95's for around $330 delivered to your FFL in the classifieds of this forum.

That said, I like the P95 very much. I owned one for several years and wish that I had not sold it.

COOL! Looking for him now...

If I can get a P95 for the right price, I may go for it. Other than the P95, right now, I'm looking at the S&W M&P as well as the XD or XDM.

Of the CZs I've priced, I cant seem to find any for under $620.00. If my gun budget was that high at the moment, I'd definitely look at one of those first. Saw a PX4 Storm 9mm used in a case, for quite a reasonable price... No experience with these. The XD/XDM and M&P fit my hand very well.

Keep them suggestions coming. We are on the right path here!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
When it comes to polymer framed pistols, I would prefer and recommend a striker fired gun. With the flex involved, a main spring (hammer) will be subjected to forces that aren't there with a metal frame. This over time may become an issue.

Hamcan

Bearcat
Burley":2odo2kff said:
http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/index.php

see anything you like here? for the price of that sti, you could buy a couple of guns here.

I love my CZ P01, but that is not poly, and over the amount that you want to spend. It's funny that pistolandpawn's first gun shown, under "handguns" is the CZ P07 Duty, CZ's poly answer to their CZ75 line. It's only $399.99 on this site...I'm not a poly guy, but if this gun is like any of the other CZs, it probably merrits at least a look.

I had no problems at all with my SR9, but I sold it. I'm just not a poly gun fan, though I do have a Kahr PM9, for carry. Good luck in your search.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Hamcan":229soeck said:
I love my CZ P01, but that is not poly, and over the amount that you want to spend. It's funny that pistolandpawn's first gun shown, under "handguns" is the CZ P07 Duty, CZ's poly answer to their CZ75 line. It's only $399.99 on this site...I'm not a poly guy, but if this gun is like any of the other CZs, it probably merrits at least a look.

I had no problems at all with my SR9, but I sold it. I'm just not a poly gun fan, though I do have a Kahr PM9, for carry. Good luck in your search.

There is no one on this forum that is a bigger fan of CZ's than I am. I don't and will not own a polymer framed CZ.

Latest posts