looking for new 22mag revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

barfly

Bearcat
wanting a new revolver and wondering if the single asix is the rite one for primarly 22mags?..or should i look at something else?..what kinda accuracy can i expect?..what would be best barrel lenth?..would mostly be donig varment hunting and general plinking..thanx in advance

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Single-Six is a good choice. If the best is what you want then a Freedom Arms revolver is an excellent choice.

I've never shot groups over 25 yards with my Single-Sixes, but have seen the .22 mag's group in the sub 2 inch range at 25 y.

flatgate

barfly

Bearcat
i guess that is what i am wondering if the ss favors lr or mags best. are the new modles as good as old 3 screw. just looking 4 best mag 4 the dollar..may look at the freedom arms. but guess it is pricey..thanx flatgate

john lee

Bearcat
barfly":1tcqo7f2 said:
wanting a new revolver and wondering if the single asix is the rite one for primarly 22mags?..or should i look at something else?..what kinda accuracy can i expect?..what would be best barrel lenth?..would mostly be donig varment hunting and general plinking..thanx in advance

Perhaps you need to buy a dictionary first.

Three50seven

Buckeye
The Single-Sixes usually do shoot the 22 mag better than the LR. this is due to the fact that the 22mag is actually slightly larger in diameter than the LR, and therefore the bore must be slightly larger in diameter than a standard 22 LR barrel. The convertible guns (come with both LR and MAG cylinders) usually shoot better groups with the mags than LRs.

Three50seven

Buckeye
barrel length really doesn't have that much affect on accuracy/performance. IMO, barrel length is more of a personal preference. I have a 4" Security-Six, a 5.5" single six, and a 6.5" blackhawk and I like them all.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
flatgate":kdedwz7v said:
I've never shot groups over 25 yards with my Single-Sixes, but have seen the .22 mag's group in the sub 2 inch range at 25 y.

flatgate
22WM001.jpg

barfly

Bearcat
thats what i wanted to hear. iwasn't sure if there would be a big difference in performance between a 6.5" and a 9.5" barrel to justify a long one or not. since it is rim fire and can't roll your own to tweek it..i like my 10" mk11 and 10" sbh..never owned a "standard ' lenght barrel. and thought it may be time to try one..i guess i would be happy to get a group like the one above..thanx for all the input

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
While the Single-Six isn't a bad choice, and I certainly like mine for field use, if you want a 22 Mag for serious hunting application I would recommend looking at a S&W 48 or 648, or a T/C Contender barrel in .22 Mag.

I have a 4x scope mounted on my S&W Model 48 and it will produce <1.5" groups at 50 yards with standard Winchester 22 Mag HPs or FMJs. The 10" Contender barrel has a T/C 2x7 scope and will do 1/2-3/4" groups at that distance with the same ammo. I imagine a Freedom Arms would match that, but they are a bit more pricey than those 2 options. Again, though, nothing wrong with a Single Six in 22 Mag! They are inexpensive, rugged, and a lot of fun as a field revolver.

Three50seven":mmw2mkmk said:
The Single-Sixes usually do shoot the 22 mag better than the LR. this is due to the fact that the 22mag is actually slightly larger in diameter than the LR, and therefore the bore must be slightly larger in diameter than a standard 22 LR barrel. The convertible guns (come with both LR and MAG cylinders) usually shoot better groups with the mags than LRs.
I believe you will find that the bullets are the same size 22 LR and 22 WMR; the Mag cases are larger in diameter.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Fox Mike":mb73up43 said:
Three50seven":mb73up43 said:
I believe you will find that the bullets are the same size 22 LR and 22 WMR; the Mag cases are larger in diameter.

They're actually not. I can't find the article I read, but it explained very clearly the difference between the two. The 22lr bullet is actually smaller at the base where it fits into the case, which is why you can move a 22lr bullet when its in the case. The 22mag is loaded like a regular centerfire round, with grooves in the bullet allowing it to be crimped into the case. Anyway, the 22mag bullet is (very) slightly larger in diameter due in some way to the way its loaded, that's why mags are almost always more accurate out of a convertible single-six.

Cholo

Staff member
You can't go wrong with a Single Six for the $. You can expect sub 2" 25yd groups with the mags and lr's. The barrel length is up to you.

A S&W Model 48 is a good choice too. I have an old but mint 8 3/8" with a pinned barrel that puts them right where I point. A good one doesn't come cheap and can be a bit hard to find.

Bottom line? Everybody needs a good .22 Single Six convertible. I like the older ones, but that's just me.

leejack

Single-Sixer
I've thought about berrel length many times with the six. I bought the 6.5"

I think they're all awesome. Wish I had one of every model made.

lee

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
For carry I like the shorter ones but I sure can shoot better with the longer barrel. Good thing they are not all "that" expensive so you can buy a small herd :wink:

I have a Ruger Bisley converted by adding a .22 WRM cylinder, and the mag cylinder still shoots better than the .22 LR but not much. I also have an 8 3/8" M48, a 4" 651, and a 6" Colt "New Frontier" convertible--you can see I like .22 WRM a lot. For me, it's the ideal rifle/revolver combo ctg. for most uses, too. I tend to shoot it a lot more than the .22 LR, which I only use for target shooting.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
barfly":qtw9qeu3 said:
i'm setting here looking at single six 5.5 ss and a blue 9.5 trying to decide witch one i like best..thanx for all your inputs
I'm partial to the sight radius of longish barrels myself, probably because I've done the best shooting I've ever done with the 10" FT .44 in my avatar. I'm thinking of a 9.5" swap of my NM's 5.5" barrel for use in rimfire field pistol silhouette. That said, my 6.5" OM has no flies on it for accuracy, hope the 9.5" swap will shoot as well.....Dennis

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
barfly,
I would go with a 6-1/2" barrel on the .22 Mag.
I think that the cartridge will perform better with a bit more barrel length.
I also have a 9-1/2" Single-Six that is very accurate with the magnums, but I don't know if it is practical to carry in the field with all that barrel hanging out. The 6-1/2" carries easily in a belt holster.

Jack

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
You may give up on the 6 shot revolver when you see the new .22 mag from Kel-Tec...(until Ruger clones it like they did the P3AT)

pmr1.jpg

pmr2.jpg

Latest posts