Looking for information/opinions of the 10/22 Tactical

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OM SB

Bearcat
Never owned a 10/22. Looking at the tactical model with 16" threaded barrel.
What kind of accuracy would you expect with this gun? I would not expect it
to shoot like a 40X, but if it did not shoot as good as my old Ruger Mark 1
bull barrel pistol I would be disappointed. Opinions? Thanks.

Aahhh, I have a couple of Ruger 22 pistols that will give most rifles a good run so I know what you mean. I bought a few of the 16" threaded 10-22 barrels and found them pretty darned accurate. One of my most consistently accurate 10-22's has one of those barrels on it.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
OM SB said:

Like anything else involving "accuracy", it's gonna depend on what brand/type of .22 rimfire ammunition you plan to pour through the barrel, at least somewhat.
Don't expect bulk packaged .22 rimfire ammunition that's been jostled around in it's container in a truck for several hundred miles to shoot and print as well as the more costly .22 rimfire ammunition that's been shipped in an individually packaged 50 round box, and has had frequent inspection during its production run. You'll need to try various types and brands to see what your newly acquired Ruger 10/22 likes most.

OM SB

Bearcat
SGW Gunsmith said:
OM SB said:

Like anything else involving "accuracy", it's gonna depend on what brand/type of .22 rimfire ammunition you plan to pour through the barrel, at least somewhat.
Don't expect bulk packaged .22 rimfire ammunition that's been jostled around in it's container in a truck for several hundred miles to shoot and print as well as the more costly .22 rimfire ammunition that's been shipped in an individually packaged 50 round box, and has had frequent inspection during its production run. You'll need to try various types and brands to see what your newly acquired Ruger 10/22 likes most.

OK, thanks. I do not see any replies that make me hesitant to buy
a 10/22 with the 16 inch barrel.

First, Tactical is a very generic term they've applied to many releases.

I've owned a number of different 10/22 Tactical models, most recently the 10/22 Target Tactical, which originally was called only the 10/22 Tactical. Don't have any idea why they'd call it Tactical, as it's a conventionally stocked rifle with a 16" heavy barrel. It also happens to be the most accurate 10/22 I've ever owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuQv52BrSU

Today, Ruger's website shows no less than 5 different 10/22 models labeled Tactical, some quite different than the others.
https://ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/models.html

In the past, they marketed the SR22 rifle, which was their first 10/22 Tactical.

Bottom line, they are all al least as accurate as a base 10/22, which remains pleasing to me, and some, as the Target Tactical, capable of repeatable 50 yard groups of sub 1/2" .

Pick one with all the features you want, and don't look back.