looking for info on GPNY and SPNY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rich S

Bearcat
Hey Fellas,
i spend a bit of time over on the S&W forum and in doing so have gotten myself into colecting the NY-1 NYCPD dao revolvers. i am getting to have about all the variants of S&W's and so will be turning my interest to the NYPD Rugers. i've only ever seen one SPNY and saw a picture of a GPNY once. but are/were there others?
what fired me up for this was the other day i saw a DAO ruger (coulda been a security six) marked "Police special" or some such on the side of the frame under the cylinder. i took the ser#as 162-40XXX anyone know what that was? they weren't asking the world for it and so i may go get it even if it isn't NYPD.
thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.
Regards,
Rich

chet15

Hawkeye
Rich S":1e37e6oo said:
Hey Fellas,
i spend a bit of time over on the S&W forum and in doing so have gotten myself into colecting the NY-1 NYCPD dao revolvers. i am getting to have about all the variants of S&W's and so will be turning my interest to the NYPD Rugers. i've only ever seen one SPNY and saw a picture of a GPNY once. but are/were there others?
what fired me up for this was the other day i saw a DAO ruger (coulda been a security six) marked "Police special" or some such on the side of the frame under the cylinder. i took the ser#as 162-40XXX anyone know what that was? they weren't asking the world for it and so i may go get it even if it isn't NYPD.
thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.
Regards,
Rich

Here's what I have on the GP100's and SP101's that were built for them, from the reference:

KGPFNY-831 and KGPFNY-841 double-action only (spurless hammer) with dull finish and all-rubber grip. Known s/n range 172-08467 to 172-44934 (KGPFNY-831) and 172-31506 to 172-98145 (KGPFNY-841). "GPNY" is rollmarked on one side of the cylinder frame. A total of at least 2,561 of both models were purchased by the New York City Police Department. Both are extremely scarce.

KGPFNY-841 with regular production brushed stainless finish, a spur hammer and goncalo alves grip inserts. "GPNY" is rollmarked on one side of the cylinder frame. Known s/n range 172-98117 to 173-01535. These are an overrun of the New York City Police Department contract. Probably not over 500 produced.

KSPNY-182 New York City Police Department contract with target gray finish (all should have the short cylinder frame). Known s/n range 570-20269 to 570-47403. Rollmarked with "SPNY" on the side of the cylinder frame. "RUGER SP101" is not marked on the barrel. Probably not more than 3,000 produced. Rare.

KSPNY-182 New York City Police Department contract with brushed stainless finish. Known s/n 570-46737. Rollmarked with "SPNY" on the side of the cylinder frame. "RUGER SP101" is not marked on the barrel. Unknown quantity produced. This is probably a manufacturing overrun of the variation noted in the paragraph above. Extremely rare.

As to the Security-Six/Service-Six/Speed-Six series', Ruger did make a few of these for NY also, as follows:

GF-84NYCPD double action only (with bobbed hammer) Known s/n range 162-40766 to 162-41689. 4 known. Extremely rare. At least one of this variety is known to have been shipped with a shipping sleeve that has a shipping sleeve stamp that incorrectly states "GF-84" and "SPEED-SIX" (known s/n 162-41689). Note that this model also has a star hand stamped on the inside of the crane, possibly by an armorer outside the Ruger factory.

GS-83NYCPD double action only (no full cock notch on bobbed hammer). Known s/n's 162-40935, 162-41364, 162-42413 and 162-42614. Only four known, extremely rare. Note that this model also has a star hand stamped on the inside of the crane, possibly by an armorer outside the Ruger factory.

Note that some of the guns in these contracts that are marked "SERVICE-SIX" on the side of the frame may have actually had their butt rounded into the Speed-Six configuration and shipped as the GS-83NYCPD model. These are very interesting hybrids, made to use up Ruger's leftover stock of the old "SIX" series because of the impending GP100 arrival.
Chet15

Rich S

Bearcat
Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses, what you guys posted was just the quick education that i needed. now that i am aware of the variations of Ruger NYPD DAO's i can see i will have many happy days ahead hunting for them.
i had almost bought that police service six when i first saw it, then after doing the recommended searches and reading i knew i wanted to go get it. then after Chet's post i absoloutely ran back to that shop and bought it. it seems i will have to letter it but by features it most closely resembles the GS-83NYCPD mentioned at the end of the post though the ser#162-400XX seems to come about 900 units prior to those mentioned, my imagination was running in overdrive that maybe i had come across something uncommon....
anyhow if nothing else i got a solid clean stainless .38 that'll likely out last me for $225.00. it is square butt and has no star that i can see inside the crane cutout or on the crane. it is wearing pachmeyer gripper's with the slot in the bottom for viewing the ser#, a lot of my S&W NY-1 M-64's had these grips on too so that points to NYPD provenance as they were limited as to what grips were authorized. of course i will be looking for the original style wood grips... S&W would call this a "Magna" grip (or sometimes Stocks) and they are usually but not always numbered to the gun. anything i need to know to find the correct grips for the Police Service Six?
lastly thanks for pointing me toward RENE, if i'm going to have another addiction that would seem to be the proper way to feed it.
Regards,
Rich

S. Kelly

Bearcat
Rich S, That sounds like a NYPD Service Six, I need to get one for the collection.

Alex-tx

Bearcat
Greetings. I have a Ruger SPNY I found languishing on the shelf of a local gun store, brand new, in the box and it is stamped SPNY on the side.

I also have a Police Service Six that I purchased from a former NYPD cop. It has no specific markings on it that I have found (may have to look it over a bit more) He told me on gun day, at the academy, they were allowed to choose between the Smith M-64 and the Ruger, he picked the Ruger because, in his words, I'm a big guy and that was the biggest one to choose from.

I wonder if Ruger could track that Service Six by serial number as a direct shipment to the NYPD?

KSPNY-182 New York City Police Department contract with target gray finish (all should have the short cylinder frame). Known s/n range 570-20269 to 570-47403. Rollmarked with "SPNY" on the side of the cylinder frame. "RUGER SP101" is not marked on the barrel. Probably not more than 3,000 produced. Rare.

That would be the one I have.

GS-83NYCPD double action only (no full cock notch on bobbed hammer). Known s/n's 162-40935, 162-41364, 162-42413 and 162-42614. Only four known, extremely rare. Note that this model also has a star hand stamped on the inside of the crane, possibly by an armorer outside the Ruger factory.

Now, this is interesting. The Police Service Six I have is serial number 162-4044X. It is a full DA/SA revolver and it does have the 5 point star on the frame inside the crane. The guy I got it from was not a gun guy, I doubt he converted it back to DA/SA.

It too came with a giant set of Goodyears installed on it (with the serial number cutout) and, he was kind enough to pack the original, and unused grips in the box with it.

Terry T

Buckeye
Rich S,
Photos with the grips off will help us more fully identify what you have.

In any case, a nice clean stainless Ruger .38 for $225 is over in the "it's a steal" price range! That it might be 'rare' is even more so.

The 3" (GS-83) vis the 2.75" (GS-82) is much less common. GS is round butt (speed six), GF would be square butt (service six).
Terry T

Rim Fire

Bearcat
Rich S,
What is the barrel length on your gun?
Does It read Police Service Six on the frame?
Thanks

Rim Fire

Bearcat
Very nice find. Did you call Ruger to verify if was a NYCPD and request a free letter? If not you can call them at 603-865-2424.

Terry T

Buckeye
A photo will let us know if it is one of the later heavy barrel versions. Sounds like a GF-84. If it has factory rubber grips it would be a GF-84P. If it has a heavy barrel, it would be a GF-84H. So, it could be a GF-84HP. A call to Ruger records can confirm it's model number. Anything other than a GF-84 would be "less common". $225 is still a VERY good price. It should be a great shooter. They can digest +P loads all day long.
Terry T

Rich S

Bearcat
thanks fellas,
as per Ruger records it is cat# GF-84 NYCPD shipped May 1987.
now i have a new addiction, Wifey will be thrilled.
Regards,
Rich

Rich S

Bearcat
Thanks Terry, but the kudos go to this forum.
now this from my query on the S&W site where i post under the same name. this was posted by S&W forum member Perpster.

Posted 24 March 2009 04:55 AM Hide Post
I'm no expert, but I believe the first authorized Ruger was the SA/DA Ruger Police Service Six in .38 Spcl. (4" blued I think). After 7/1/87 these were grandfathered in, but new officers were restricted to DAO with spurless hammers. The authorized models were the GPNY in stainless 3" or 4", or the Speed Six in 3" stainless. All in .38 Spcl.

it would seem to explain Alex TX's version of the NYPD Service six, can anyone verify?

Alex-tx

Bearcat
The one difference is, the NYPD Service Six I have is stainless. I know they couldn't have issued those for very long. I know NYPD issued the Blue model 10 for forever and a day. Then the transition to stainless. Then the DA only guns. So, mine had to fit in a very small window.

Rich S

Bearcat
Hey Alex,
i'd give a call to that Ruger archive phone # posted by Rim Fire above, they'll give you the model # which encodes what config it was shipped in it couldn't be easier and they are sending me a letter on mine.
Regards,
Rich

S. Kelly

Bearcat
Hi Rich, thanks for next dibs, LOL. I think the stainless Service Sixes in DAO were only offered briefly, then the GPNY was offered. I guess Ruger had a few Six frames left and used them up on the police market.

Alex-tx

Bearcat
Well...how cool. I called Ruger records department. Very nice folks there by the way, I spoke with Carla.

My Service Six was shipped in July 87. And the model number is:
GF-84NYCPD. Serial number 162-4044X. I suppose we can deduce from that model number that it is unquestionably a NYPD gun.

GF-84NYCPD double action only (with bobbed hammer) Known s/n range 162-40766 to 162-41689. 4 known. Extremely rare. At least one of this variety is known to have been shipped with a shipping sleeve that has a shipping sleeve stamp that incorrectly states "GF-84" and "SPEED-SIX" (known s/n 162-41689). Note that this model also has a star hand stamped on the inside of the crane, possibly by an armorer outside the Ruger factory.

My serial number predates that group though and, is full DA/SA. It does indeed have the star stamped in the crane. Hopefully, there are now 5 known.

Terry T

Buckeye
"Alex-tx",
Way to SCORE!
Glad we could be helpful - lead you to the verification of such a rare one.
Chet will want to take note. These are now a bit less rare - there are 5 instead of just 4! :D
Terry T