looking for info on GPNY and SPNY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

S. Kelly

Bearcat
I have a blued Service Six with a piece of paper from the Equipment Section, showing the gun was checked by them prior to purchase.

njdet354

Bearcat
All guns were checked prior to sale. All of them would have come with that inspection sheet Rugers or Smiths.

Rich S

Bearcat
hey fellas,
boy didn't this thread grow....
i listed my SER # only partially when i first posted b/c that is how we do it over on the S&W forum, never asked why... anyhow i can expand the range of the NYPD service six's a little if RENE is interested as mine is 162-40090.
Regards,
Rich

mtngunr

Bearcat
yes, it did!....but i learned a tonne in regards to my gun...which as an FYI now wears like new walnut stocks and looks much the better for it...thanks again to all the posters who filled in with such a tremendous amount of info....

KMAN0941

Bearcat
Hello
This is my first post here and its very interesting to see the interest for the NYPD Ruger GPNY and SP101. I am an active NYPD Lieutenant who carries a Ruger GPNY. I also had an SP101 but there was something wrong with trigger pull and I ended up with a 2 inch smith and Wesson as a back up gun. Here in New York guys cant give these 38 specials away. When Bill Bratton told us we could finally get 9mm and guys began transitioning over they became paper weights. Very interesting. I do have some first hand knowledge about our guns so if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks

hittman

Staff member
KMANO941 ~

Welcome to the Forum! Post away on your experiences with those NYPD guns. We're eager to learn here.

And .... shoot me a PM if anyone wants to sell one of those paper weight department guns. I'd always be interested in one, or, one of each!

KMAN0941

Bearcat
Thanks
I am no gun expert but I can shed some light on some of the things I have read. For example I read somewhere that the GPNY was never issued but made for the NYPD. That is false. 38 caliber was NYPD weapon from 1800s until 1993 when the Department started transitioning to 9mm.
If you had a 38 you were grandfathered in and could keep it or switch to 9mm. Once you switched you could not carry it on Patrol anymore. Some wanted more firepower but somelove the reliability of 38 revolver. I had a choice of 4 inch or 3 inch which some female officers picked due to weight. We could have smith and wesson Model 64 ny 1 or Ruger. NYPD is DAO since cocking a gun was like taboo in NYPD due to accidental discharges.

S. Kelly

Bearcat
If anyone's looking for NYPD Rugers, please contact me, I have a few I am selling off.

S. Kelly

Bearcat
I am liquidating my extra NYPD revolvers to concentrate more on Boston PD stuff. Too many guns and variations thereof to get a complete set together. Are the 3 inch GPNYs collectible? I see the 4 inchers (my friend carried his until 1996) around, but not so many 3 inchers.

Terry T

Buckeye
I's say 3" GPNY are even more collectable than the 4" ones. Just fewer of them around.
Terry T

pattybags

Bearcat
My father just gave me his old .38 special. It's 5 shot, 2 3/4" barrell and roll marked SPNY. Strangely it was originally registered as a GPNY even though it has an SPNY roll mark. Serial # 570-460xx

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I've picked uped on these service sixes also at a auction in Iowa one year. Also more speed sixes with the initials of NYPD. And,the history on them.

Alpo

Bearcat
pattybags said:
My father just gave me his old .38 special. It's 5 shot, 2 3/4" barrell and roll marked SPNY. Strangely it was originally registered as a GPNY even though it has an SPNY roll mark. Serial # 570-460xx

Congrats.

Not only a nice collectible, but something with a personal history as well.

Shoot it, enjoy it, showed it off and pass onto your own someday.

pattybags

Bearcat
Not for nothing but the SP101 Rugers are great shooters. I really have a lot of fun shooting this thing. It gets sooooo dirty, though.

Latest posts