The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Ruger P95 9mm

I'll be using Winchester cases
RP sm Pistol Primer
Acme 124 gr. Lead Round Nose
Alliant Unique Powder
Have checked my manuals and they vary somewhat:

What would be a good starting load and a max load with this pistol/bullet and Unique? Any help would be appreciated.

The Preacher

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
THOSE loading manuals are pressure tested loads. Do not distain them !!! NO one here can ever tell you what the" maximum " will EVER be in your pistol, Sir !
USE a chronograph.
Take the starting lows in ALL your manuals and average them, load five[5] rounds and testfire them. Then load five rounds apiece going up 2/10's of a grain the AVERAGE maximum load s from those same manuals. fire each 2/10's increase over the screens at a twenty-five yard target and write down the information as it is EXACT for your pistol and none other in the history of the world.
And so it goes...

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Been loading for darn near year 45 years Wil, do have a chronograph, cast my own bullets, form cases for a 7x64 Brenneke, loaded for well over 25 cartridges and yes I do have more than my share of loading manuals which I don't disdain and date back to the '60's. I know what I'm doing Sir! lol Just wanted to see what folks were using or info from manuals I don't have. I asked for min/maxes Not a max load for my particular firearm; if I want a max load I'll find it for myself in my firearm...

The Preacher

gster

Single-Sixer
I have a chrono but to be honest..I've only ever used it 1 time to test some loads with H110. I was too close to the darned thing and the fire ball didn't measure worth a hoot. No pressure signs on the cases and the gun didn't blow up. So I thought it was good enough cause it was accurate as hell. My opinion...no you don't have to have a chronograph. Start and work up and look for pressure signs and you'll do just fine. Follow the published data and follow directions. This ain't rocket science.

Now to answer The Preachers question...
This is all I have. My Lee doesn't list anything for that bullet with Unique but my Hornadys' 8th shows Unique for their discontinued 124gr. swaged lead rn They are pretty soft...about 10 bhn if I'm not mistaken.
124 gr. lead LRN C.O.L. 1.090"
Unique
start 4.0 for 900fps
4.2 for 950
4.5 for 1000
4.7 for 1050
max.5.0 for 1100 fps

If I was loading for a cast bullet I wouldn't be afraid to use this data. I dbbl checked for type Os

contender

Ruger Guru
Preacher; If you list the manuals you have, maybe others can offer the info from their manuals. Once you explained your reasoning,,, I understood the question better. I never offer advice on reloading that isn't in print by a manufacturer that can be backed up with their testing.
If you've been loading for almost 45 years, then you are surely aware of the fact that 9mm is sensitive to bullet design & seating depth. That causes a lot of differences in what could be minimum or maximum charges.

TitanX; For the folks who do not have an easy route to testing,,, yes,,, loading test batches of ammo, carefully marked & kept separate is how most folks do try out new loads. A method I use, (And my range is 500 yds from the house,) is to load a test batch of 5 rounds, mark them with a colored sharpie over the primer, and record what each color means. Then at the range, I pull out my load sheet, select the loads & test them, recording the results, one load at a time.
Is a chrono necessary? No. But if you are a person who shoots a lot, experiments with several calibers, powders, bullets etc, then a chrono is just another great tool to help you determine more info about your loads. If you are the type of loader who only loads by strictly following the manuals, staying below maximums, careful study for signs of over pressure in YOUR guns, and once you find a load, never plan on changing it,,, then a chrono is almost wasted money. (I say almost as it's just another tool to help you know what's going on with your ammo, and many of us want as much info as possible. But remember,,, a chrono wasn't a home hobbiest reloaders tool for decades & people did just fine by following manuals.)

Preacher,,, I hope you do not mind the hijacking side info here. I hate to see an honest question not answered.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Thanks all. I have at least a dozen manuals, Lyman, 3 Speer, Hornady, Hodgdon, Pet Loads by Ken Waters, Sierra, but some are dated and others don't have data for a hard cast 125gr bullet in a 9mm. Others don't use Unique (a lot of new powders out there now) or have load data for just jacketed bullets. I do realize that each gun is a law unto itself and I'll just do what I always do; likely use the Lyman data and start low and work up.

The Preacher

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Instead of lectures, why don't people just give him the answer to his question?

If I may add a plus 1 to what Contender said. My range is 70 miles from my house. But I do it almost exactly the same as what he does. Load various test rounds based on the minimum loads according to my books. And go up in steps, and yep, sharpies work great.

Take lots of notes at the range, shoot one bullet at a time and record the information, felt recoil, accurate or not? Et cetera. I keep a journal now of my range trips. It actually makes it more fun, not like work at all...

I don't use a chronograph. If the bullet is accurate does it matter if it made it to the target at 1283 ft/sec. Or 1340 ft/sec. ???

Anyway I think Contender is spot on, and this is one method of finding the min/max for a given caliber....to which this thread is about, yes?