Looking for a good revolver 'smith

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I am looking to make some changes to my NM Blackhawk .41 Mag. I want to cut the barrel from 6.5" to 5", change the front sight to a Fermin Garza sight, install a Bowen rear sight, convert to Bisley hammer and trigger, add a #5 grip frame and grips, and possibly have it Mag-Na-Ported. I had intended to do most of this myself, so have most of the pieces, but now am looking for someone to do this for me.

Any recommendations? Ken Kelley is backed up enough he is willing to cut and crown the barrel and Mag-Na-Port but the wait for the rest of the work is just out there. I have contacted Dave Clements, but he is retiring and only wants to work on unusual things. I've heard of Alan Horton and John Gallagher, but haven't contacted them. I've also heard of Dave Lauck, but wonder about cost.

I'm not independently wealthy, just want to find someone who can do good work without breaking the bank. Any ideas?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bobby Tyler is a good choice, and usually has a relatively fast turn around. Alan Horton and John Gallagher both have great reputations. Do you already have the #5 grip frame and if so is it by Power Custom? They also come highly recommended.

Which pieces do you still need?

Bobby Tyler is a good choice, and usually has a relatively fast turn around. Alan Horton and John Gallagher both have great reputations. Do you already have the #5 grip frame and if so is it by Power Custom? They also come highly recommended.

Which pieces do you still need?
I don't have #5 grip frame or grips yet, the rest is here, still in packages. I never thought of Power Custom. Bobby Tyler comes pretty highly recommended. I need to contact them about pricing.

Thanks for the replies.

k2nd

Single-Sixer
Just an FYI, but John Gallagher passed away in April 2020 from cancer.
As far as a #5 grip frame, check out RWGRIPFRAMES. It's operated by Ronnie Wells. He machines them from solid brass or aluminum. You can go to singleactions.pro boards.com and click on the single action topic. It's towards the top of the page with plenty of pictures and comments on his work. He makes a lot of different grip frames for Ruger single actions. He also makes hammers and triggers as well.
k2nd