Looking for .22LR Revolver Advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
My first .22 revolver was a H&R 999, purchased new. It is a double-action 9-shot top-break with adjustable front and rear sights. I very recently acquired a Single-Six. It is a single-action six-shooter, with drift-adjustable rear sight. It is slightly heavier and much slower to reload. Both fit my hand well, and will fire ammo that that isn't set off by wimpier guns. The H&R will burn through ammo faster; the Six encourages deliberate shooting. And I have to admit, I like the click-click-click as I cock the hammer.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Mod 53 is an excellent revolver. The cases tend to stick if chambers are not squeaky clean and dry. The best M 53s are those that have been re-chambered to the .22 REM Jet wildcat with bottle neck case; straight wall and very sharp shoulder near the top. No ejection problems and more case powder volume if wanted.

The extra 22 cyls work great. The alum inserts, not so much, especially after a lot of use. They eject with the 22 cases stuck inside, Then the case must be driven out and the inserts replaced in chamber. NOTE: If you want to add a 22 cyl to a Mod 53, be aware that it needs a longer than a standard K frame 22 cyl.

A jig can be made like a moon clip, 1/16" thick, with 6 holes in a circle that's placed on the rear face of cyl for ejection. The 22 case rims fit thru the holes but the inserts won't. A tube handle attached to the rear of the plate that fits around/over the ejector star, must be longer than the 22 cases, and a knob on the rear end of it helps. Open cyl, push forward on the jig, then rearward on the ejector. Voila, the inserts stay in the chambers and the 22 cases pop out of the inserts. For stubborn cases; with muzzle up, you can place jig knob on the bench, and push harder on the ejector rod.

If I'm walking along my creek shooting vermin or plinking here and there, my stainless Bisley Single Six is a great revolver to have along in a Ruger flap holster.

But if I was going to go to a range or shoot paper targets for groups... the choice isn't even going to be close. The vintage S&W K-22's are just flat out the best. They shoot the best, they are aesthetically beautiful... It's a miracle I don't own ten of them. I probably would if really nice ones for great prices just feel in my lap. They are treasured guns by many groups of gun people though so perfect examples can get pricey! If you find a cosmetically challenged one that is mechanically perfect... and it is from 1946-47 with a single address line... I would buy it anyway... that's just me!