Looking at buying a used Mini-14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gltucker

Bearcat
Joined
Nov 7, 2009
Messages
2
Hi,

I just want to run this by you folks. I found a Mini-14 in the companies classifieds. It is a 186 series gun with blued barrel and wood stock. I haven't seen any pictures, but I did ask alot of questions.

The guy said he bought it used in 2007 from one a large outdoor shop in Michigan. He said that it looked like a low round gun when he purchased it. He said that he's put 200 rounds through in .223-5.56 combined. He is selling it for a AR build and I had him down to $425, with 2 20 round factory Ruger clips & a 5 round factory clip.

Accuracy wise, he said he was more interested in shooting milk jugs versus targets, he said that at 100yards he shot it 90% of the time with out a rest standing. The other 10% he accounts for him. He said his buddy shot it at a paper target going through the 20 round clips getting around 4" groups in 2 minutes of fire. He did say that they did experience some stringing when they did this. Which I heard happens with these guns having thin lightweight barrels. Does this have any affects on it long term, how he did the two 20 rounds clips in that amount time.

I am meeting him on Monday. I am not a Ruger guy or know any one who is really knowledgable on the Mini. I've been a fan of the design, I have a M1 Garand from CMP and I can see it's a similar design.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 

mattsbox99

Hunter
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
3,391
Location
Montana 'Merica
$425 is a good price.

They are extremely reliable, like the Garand.

I don't think you'll hurt the Mini with rapid fire, but its not really that wise.
 

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Joined
Dec 26, 2005
Messages
491
Location
utah
Figure that each 20 round factory mag is 30.00. You have a nice deal. A reminder, like the garand you cannot ease the bolt forward to chamber a round. pull back the bolt and let it go. hth greg
 

gltucker

Bearcat
Joined
Nov 7, 2009
Messages
2
Haha I did that the first time I went out with the Garand, I try not abuse my toys. SO I thought ease it forward. I had the bolt soaking in mineral spirits. Then I had a smart spell and asked someone on CMP's forum...do they break down like the Garand?

I think it's a good deal as well. I just hope the stock doesn't look like it was thrown down a gravel road. Anything to look for when checking it out?
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
9,320
Location
Greenville, SC: USA
The two 'MAGAZINES' should say they are Ruger ... and most likely for law enforcement only...

don't expect it to shoot that great at 100 yards and you'll be happy. Minute of Milk Jug is good.

Oh... mini-14s take magazines not clips... your Garand uses 'clips', there is a difference.
 

martyj

Blackhawk
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
623
Location
Nebraska
blume357":1cz6b3hu said:
don't expect it to shoot that great at 100 yards and you'll be happy. Minute of Milk Jug is good.

Never quite heard it put that way before in accuracy terms and am sorry to say you are correct.
 

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Joined
Dec 26, 2005
Messages
491
Location
utah
The mini breaks down like a garand. pull down and out on trigger guard. As for condition; check bore and muzzle for defects. Are the screws buggered? Check bolt for excessive wear, was it lubed. Sights, are they ok? Stock with dings is last, as a replacement is a drop in. IF you have another 223, keep brass seperate. My savage 223 has a tight tgt chamber. Pressure would be too much as the neck shorter. hth greg
 

Latest posts

Top