looking at 9mms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a 9mm because in California 9mm ammo is always availiable. I am a revolver person. The only semi-auto I have ever owned is a MarkI bought in 1971. I sold it about ten years later. I have been shooting revolvers from that time to now. I like steel guns. Don't know much about the new generation Glocks and such. I am a old school type of guy. I own a Ruger Police Service Six, GP100 and have owned a Blackhawk and a Security Six. I am fine with a double action gun because I shoot double action almost all the time. I consider my self a better double action shooter than average. So, any suggestions for a old revolver guy? I value the opinions on this forum very much.

Thanks,
roaddog28

kscott

Single-Sixer
Assuming this is just a house/range gun, and the fact that you're not really a polymer man, I'd recommend the P89. It's known for its "built like a tank" reliability. I'm sure others will chime in, but P89 gets my vote.

jhearne

Buckeye
You said Old School, so I'm going to say P89 or even the P95, action wise they're pretty much the same, big difference is the size, which is still rather close IMO. Both solid guns, the P95 is just a little cheaper up front. Either would make a great house/range gun.

Josh

tguil

Single-Sixer
Are you open to something other than Ruger? If so, IMO there are some much "prettier" steel guns available than either the P89 or P95.

Tom :cool:

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
If you are an old time revolver shooter (read as knows how to use a DA trigger) I am going to jump brands and recommend a S&W Sigma. Heres why: DAO trigger (will feel surprisingly like your Security Six), no exterior controls (safety lever, decocker, etc.), excellent ergonomics (1911 grip angle and narrow grip), excellent reliability (neither of mine have ever stuttered -- with any ammo), large easy to see sights, very good accuracy, great value (currently offered with a $50 rebate from Smith, till the end of the year).

Now don't get me wrong, I own and am very fond of my P-95, P-97, Glock G23, 1911's etc, BUT I also own a Sigma in 9mm and one in .40. Many people complain about the Sigma trigger but it was designed as a transitional weapon for security forces making the move from revolvers to autoloaders. Many people also poo poo the Sigma due to its affordable price -- leaves lots extra to purchase practice ammo.

Don't take my word for it, rent one and try it.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I think the BEST 9mm pistol value in the market today is the Ruger P-95. They are compact and reliable, but they do have a polymer frame.

If you want an all-steel gun, you would be hard pressed to find a better one than the CZ-75B. Here's mine next to my recently acquired Browning BDM.

P1010023-2.jpg

tguil

Single-Sixer
Although I own neither, I was going to suggest a Browning Hi Power or a CZ-75B -- both all steel and very comfortable in the hand. I too am a revolver person who likes "classic" guns.

Tom :cool:

aaronrb204

Bearcat
If you normally shoot DA then I would suggest a DAO pistol. The easiest to find are probably the various S&W 3rd and 4th generation models. They are good solid pistols. And because they have been around for so long, 10+ round mags are all over the place which might be a selling point for you.

It really all depends on how much you want to spend and how they all feel in your hand. Other than personal preference I can't say anything bad about the Beretta 92 series, Sig P22x series, CZ75, Ruger P, S&W metal guns, or BHP. However I can say that I find the CZ75 to be the most comfortable but they are mainly SA guns with 2nd strike capability. The BHP is strictly SA. The others are all generally speaking DA/SA pistols.

Ski

Bearcat
I'd agree with those above that recommended the CZ75 if you want to stay away from plastic. You don't really say that you wouldn't consider a straight SA pistol nor do you give a hint about budget so since I'm a 1911 fan, I would offer up one of the quality 1911's in 9mm. Para, Kimber, STI and others offer them; although I'm not sure whats legal in Cal. these days.

revhigh

Hawkeye
aaronrb204":31ywhuvm said:
However I can say that I find the CZ75 to be the most comfortable but they are mainly SA guns with 2nd strike capability.

Actually, MOST CZ75's are DA/SA, with the CZ75B having the 'option' of being ordered in SA, and a DA/SA CZ can be 'converted' to 'SA only'. Bear in mind though, that the SA we're talking about is NOT a single action like a 1911's single action. It's a SA where the SA mode is like the SA part of a DA/SA, but without the DA part, if that makes any sense LOL.

Apart from that, I HIGHLY recommend the CZ75 series of guns. THey are spectacularly accurate, and I think the most ergonomic of all the 9MM guns.

REV

Burley

Bearcat
pcr.jpg

CZ PCR. MIGHT go over in Ca. due to the loaded chamber indicator. Also, you can get a .22 conversion, well, maybe not in Ca. I like the looks of the S&W Ladysmith 3913 9mm a lot.

You can't have one like this in Ca :) ;
czcross.jpg

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. From what all of you have said my short list would be a Ruger P89, Smith third or fourth generation, Browning Hi Power, CZ75B (only because I want full size). Or if I can afford one a 1911 in one of the major brands. My price range is $500 to $700. This of course depends on how the gun feels in my hand. I have small hands. I will probably hit the range next week to ten days and rent as many of the better ones and also visit my gunshop. My gunsmith who has worked on all of my revolvers and is a semi-auto guy as well as a older revolver guy should also point me in the right direction.

Wish my luck,
roaddog28

railroader

Single-Sixer
I will go along with the crowd on cz75s. I have the single action only version and it shoots great. They are very ergonomic and accurate. I also have a p95 which isn't as much fun to shoot but it is a real work horse that is super reliable. One other pistol I will recommend is a springfield xd. I use to have one and I liked it alot. By the way I'm up by San Bernardino if you want to try them out at the range. Mark

greener

Single-Sixer
I have to concur that the "best" 9mm's I've fired are the CZ75B and the Hi-Power, although I don't know that they are any more "accurate" than my M&P or SR9.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Glock.

Depending on what you want to do with the pistol, most of the ones from reputable manufacturer's are going to be pretty good.

revhigh

Hawkeye
greener":266sipas said:
Surprised no one has mentioned the Glock.

You're right Greener. I have two, but never really warmed up to them for the range. My G26 is strictly for carry, and is as reliable as a brick, and my G20 just doesn't get much range time, not sure why. When I think of a full size 9MM, the ONLY gun that comes to mind first is the CZ75B. Then maybe the Browning, although I've never owned one myself, but it is surely a classic and superbly accurate 9MM. I never really liked ANY of the Beretta/Taurus clones, primarily for my typical reason for not liking a gun, and we all know what that means LOL.

If I had to pick a Glock to add to the OP's 'check it out' list it would HAVE to be the G19. It is absolutely the PERFECT size, and if you can get past the 'blocky' looks of the Glock, which I have a hard time doing, it is probably one of the most reliable and accurate 9MM's out there. It is BY FAR their biggest seller and for damn good reasons. As I've said before, if I had it to do again I would have gotten the 19 instead of my 26.

If I were to buy ONLY ONE 9MM for all uses .... regular carry, range, SD, HD, I think it would HAVE to be the Glock 19. If I was buying a full size gun primarily for the range and occasional carry where I could use a holster, it would be the CZ75B and ONLY the CZ75B. If you want a tacticool looking gun, then either the M&P or XD would work for you. I'm just really not into the whole plastic pistol scene. I think they generally have no character (like the GLock) and don't shoot anywhere near as well as metal framed guns.

REV

REV

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
roaddog28":3d4hz1q4 said:
I am looking at buying a 9mm because in California 9mm ammo is always availiable. I am a revolver person.
If ammo availability is the issue but you like revolvers, why don't you get a revolver chambered in 9mm?

If you want used, S&W made the Model 940 chambered in 9 mm back in the 90's. There is one available on Gunbroker right now.

The Taurus Gaucho model 905 is chambered in 9mm. It is a small frame, 5-shot, 2" barrel.

Of course, I have no idea what you are allowed to do in California.

aaronrb204

Bearcat
revhigh":18ovq9k4 said:
aaronrb204":18ovq9k4 said:
However I can say that I find the CZ75 to be the most comfortable but they are mainly SA guns with 2nd strike capability.

Actually, MOST CZ75's are DA/SA, with the CZ75B having the 'option' of being ordered in SA, and a DA/SA CZ can be 'converted' to 'SA only'. Bear in mind though, that the SA we're talking about is NOT a single action like a 1911's single action. It's a SA where the SA mode is like the SA part of a DA/SA, but without the DA part, if that makes any sense LOL.

Apart from that, I HIGHLY recommend the CZ75 series of guns. THey are spectacularly accurate, and I think the most ergonomic of all the 9MM guns.

REV

I usually try to refer to them as SA/DA.

I would have suggested the PCR version but I had one and the trigger is not nearly as good as a safety model. The manual does show how to properly thumb down the hammer to the half-cock notch for DA carry though.