Looked at a lovely sp 101 today, but...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Like the looks of the 4" and 3" SP 101's. But, I can not cock it. At least not with one hand. And a model 60 seems very smooth and easy. Is there a fix for the Ruger? Do others have this problem? It starts back and the hits a hard spot. Tried at least a half a dozen of them in the last week. I can work my 2 Blackhawks and my 686 just fine. What is the deal with this little Ruger?

pisgah

Buckeye
Although I have never had any problem cocking either, the Ruger has always seemed a bit easier for me to cock than the S&W J frames.

eveled

Hawkeye
I prefer J frames over SP's, but only shoot double action. If you need to cock it at the range, or for the infamous "defensive sniper shot with a snub nose". Use your off hand.

contender

Ruger Guru
Every person has a different "feel" when handling a firearm. So, to answer your question in simple terms,, yes,, you can have a smoothed up action to where it's easier to operate.
But more in depth,, the S&W action is a different design, and as such,,, it may feel easier to operate. Both can benefit from a good smith cleaning up the action.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
To clarify: I do have fairly large hands. The thumb fits the hammer fine. When I start back it feels fine. Then after it is partially cocked it gets very hard to pull the hammer further. It seems to have a very hard, short pull. Sometimes it cocks with effort and digging into the thumb. Sometimes it just stops and I have to let it down and start over. I do not get that with the Smiths or the Ruger GP100 that I tried. I can reach over and cock it with the support hand thumb just fine. The trigger pull feels fine in double action.

Are you guys telling me I am the only person who has this issue with this gun?

woodsy

Blackhawk
You might not be the only one, but you are among the very few. My hands are so large I need XL gloves, of any style. Yet, my two SP's cock without any trouble, and that's without a 'smith-style "trigger job" on either one.
Are you concerned with just one revolver in particular (could be the cylinder rubbing the back of the barrel), or every SP you have ever tried?

I got out one of my SP 101's and cocked the hammer a few times and viewed it from a critical standpoint, and yes it is stiffer than many other guns. I would try some Wolfe springs and replace the hammer spring and see if it's any better for you. I was certainly able to cock it but it wasn't smooth as I would like. I think it's normal for bigger guns to be easier due to the hammer being slightly heavier.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"Sometimes it just stops and I have to let it down and start over."
Something is wrong with it. It needs a trip to Ruger to get happy.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
woodperson,
Check the Barrel/Cylinder Gap on the SP101's that you're handling. Binding could be the problem that's increasing cocking effort. Ruger has produced a fairly large number of SP101's in the last year where the B/C Gap is too small. Also check out an older model with the cast hammer. The checkering is much more aggressive than the wimpy, slippery as soap checkering on the newer MIM hammers. Ruger continues to use cast hammers on the GP100's, Redhawks and Single Actions. I don't know what possessed them to short-change us on the spur hammered SP101's. My newer SP101's are DAO so it's not a problem.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Cordite

Single-Sixer
ADP3 said:
Also check out an older model with the cast hammer. The checkering is much more aggressive than the wimpy, slippery as soap checkering on the newer MIM hammers.
+1 to that. My .327 SP-101 has the cast hammer and I actually needed to deburr the aggressive checkering with a light filing to make it comfortable to use.

My SP-101 cocks smoothly so I would say the example you tried has some problem. Could be a burr or a metal chip/some other debris in the action.

Cordite

brushunter

Single-Sixer
The OP says he's tried " at least half dozen " , that is , if I understand him correctly. I have two SPs ( 3" and 4" ), both had very stiff actions. I put wolf springs in both along with a Hogue wood grip on the 4". Those modifications transformed both into very acceptable handguns. I'm having trouble understanding his saying " it stops and I have to start over again ".

regards brushunter

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Yes, the hammer is just too stiff for me. I do not think there is a bind or that anything is hitting. Just short, stiff section of hammer pull. I have tried several in several different gun stores with the idea of buying one. When I try to cock it sometimes I get to a point where I do not have enough pull to get it back. If I let it down, shift my hand, muscle up, then I can cock it. On the other hand the S & W Model 60 almost seems too easy to cock. I like the size and the 4" barrel on the Ruger but so far have been reluctant to buy one because of the stiffness. I guess what I was asking is do they loosen up or smooth out or does a spring kit help? The guns I shoot regularly are 2 Black Hawks and a S&W 686 so I was not expecting any problems operating a 101. If I cannot cock it easily I guess I could just shoot DA but I was curious as to how others feel about them. I guess now I know. I am just an old wimp. I can cock it reliably with the support hand. I can pull it DA okay. But I am used to cocking the gun with the shooting hand when I bring it up the first time and hate to have to grip it different to cock and shoot it. I guess it makes since that a shorter spring might have to be stiffer, but after trying the Model 60 first I just did not see the stiffness problem with the 101 coming. I did hand the first 101 back to the salesperson and ask him if it was okay. But all of them have been the same.

luvmyRugers

Single-Sixer
Three SP101s with 2.25" barrel and one with 3" barrel, all cock relatively easy. None have been smoothed in any way and as far as I know are factory original. For me, the S&W 686 is harder to cock.
Good luck figuring it out.

tedwhite

Bearcat
I had the same cocking problem with my 2.25" SP101. I have some arthritis in my hands and my grip strength has declined with age. Basically I had to reach over with my left hand in order to cock it. I took it to the lgs which employs a gunsmith and he installed lighter springs. Now I can cock it, but it still isn't as easy as a Model 10 or a Model 36.

Latest posts